cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have an OWON AG4151 Waveform generator and a PXI-6132 for measurement using a BNC-2120.

The generator has two outputs - one for Sync and the other one for the actual Waveform. When the generator sends a Sync signal, I want my PXI-6132 to start measuring the waveform from the generator output.

How do I sync these two? Shall I connect the cable from generator Sync output to the PFI0 on my BNC or somewhere else? How do I configure the devices in LabVIEW - using DAQ Assistant, shall I set the Trigger Clock to External and select PFI0 from the list?

I'm using LabVIEW 2014.

I'm sure it's a problem that will take a minute to answer, I'm just new to Syncing and Triggers and feel a bit lost reading through the manuals...

Cheers!

-Jacob

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,794 Views)

Have you looked at the examples that come with LabVIEW? I suggest looking for the "Voltage- Continuous Input.vi" under hardware input and ouput >> DAQmx >> Analog Input in the example finder. This has a start trigger in it you can easily adapt to your needs.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,774 Views)

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply. I looked up the LabVIEW example and I still feel quite lost - I connected the generator Sync to PFI0 on my BNC-2120, then selected PFI0 as the Sample Clock Source in the LabVIEW example and I set the Physical channel to ai0, that's where I connected the generator output. It never triggers, just waits for the timeout to finish.

Does the PFI0 register a Sync signal as a trigger for measurement? I know the Sync terminal works, I can measure it truly sends out a signal.....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,763 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jacob93

From what I understood from your initial post it sounds more like a trigger than a clock source to me. Your AWG gives you a single pulse when it starts generating and then nothing, correct? How should the card use a single trigger as clock, when it normally would expect at least several kHz? So: select PFI0 as digital start trigger and let the acquisition run at a certain Samplerate based on the internal clock.

Is this the functionality you want?

Remember Cunningham's Law
Message 4 of 4
(2,709 Views)