From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing LEDs and camera - trigger?

Hi all,

I am trying to get my camera (via IMAQdx) and a light source (serial) synchronized so that the light is turned on only during user-commanded acquisition in order to minimize photodamage. I assume that using a software trigger for both camera and device will do the trick. I both want to be able to take a single image as well as a sequence of images with a defined delay, which is why I decided to use an IMAQ Grab to save configuring time.

However, I am completely unable to program a simple working example of using a software trigger to control camera acquisition. I had assumed that, as in NI Max, it would suffice to set the camera attribute "TriggerSoftware" to 1 (see vi) - but the camera grabs images also when it is set to zero.

Can anybody give me a really simple working example of user-triggered camera acquisition?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,294 Views)

Did you check Help->Find Examples->Triggered Grab Example?

-Software triggering means according to the frame rate the software will generate internally and get image.

-So even if you get that image or not triggers will be gone to camera and it will have images.

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,278 Views)

I find the documentation on the Triggered Grab example lacking in information what's actually going on. However, I found a solution on another site:

http://www.labviewforum.de/Thread-Software-Trigger-fuer-AVT-Kamera

and for non-germanophones, the important thing is the use of the Get Image.vi instead of Grab:

http://www.labviewforum.de/attachment.php?aid=39411

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,247 Views)

Grab is High level function which includes Get Image VI if you had checked inside Grab.VI

-Ideally it's good to start with High level functions and depending on your requirements you can get use Low level VI for better configurarbility in acquisition.

-You can check low level functions example in Help->Find Examples-> Search Low-Level.

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,236 Views)