From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support request for FPGA issues

Hi all:

I encountered a very strange problem with falling edge detection in my project.

I used a "wait on falling edge" function in my program, In the field, while testing with live signals I saw there are noises (spikes) on the start signal line. And the program was triggered to start measurement many times even if no PCBA is moving. I suspect "wait on falling edge" function thinks noises/spikes are also falling edges.

Therefore, I change the FPGA VI to use a event counting method shown in Page 5 of the white paper (attached). According to 7830R user manual, 0-0.8V is consider low & 2-5V is considered high. I can see from oscilloscope that all noises/ripples on the start signal line is in the range of 4-6V. So theoretically this type of noise should not affect high/low readings and therefore falling edge detection based on the event counting method. You can have a look at the small FPGA VI (without host program) test program I wrote (attached).

However, while running this FPGA VI itself. I can see the count number increasing even though there are no pulses and falling edges (only some small noises and ripples between 4-6V, as seen on the scope). And this is very strange. If I supply a very pure 5V DC without noises/ripples to DIO0, then the count number stays at 0 and doesn't increase.

See if you have any idea for such a problem.
Hope can receive your response asap!
Thanks
Charles long
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,742 Views)

Hi,

I have seen similar issues when waiting for a prox signal or something similar on the FPGA ==> the input would trigger repeatedly during the rising edge and the falling edge of the pulse generated by a prox signal.

To get around this, I introduced some debouncing logic and that resolved my problem.  See the figure # 17 in this document:   http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2993  . This is similar to what I did but there are also a few other approaches.  If this doesn't work for you, let me know.

Good Luck!

Mike R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,721 Views)
Hi Mike R:

Thank your support, i have sovled this problem! thanks very much!!

charles long
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,677 Views)