LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X Bug

What about the Ctrl-A bug? That is a REALLY annoying bug for users at run time (have you ever tried to scroll through a multi-page string to select it all? Or tried repeatedly to Ctrl-A within a string and not notice all the smal "a" dropped in the middle of the string?

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 50
(897 Views)

@X. wrote:

What about the Ctrl-A bug? That is a REALLY annoying bug for users at run time (have you ever tried to scroll through a multi-page string to select it all? Or tried repeatedly to Ctrl-A within a string and not notice all the smal "a" dropped in the middle of the string?

I just lumped it in with all those other anomalies we were chatting about in this thread.  Yeah, the ctrl-a bug frustrates me a lot.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 50
(884 Views)

@X. wrote:

[...] (have you ever tried to scroll through a multi-page string to select it all? [...]

ctrl+Home then ctrl+Shift+End

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 50
(865 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

@X. wrote:

[...] (have you ever tried to scroll through a multi-page string to select it all? [...]

ctrl+Home then ctrl+Shift+End

OK, but you still loose the position you were at in the string when you decided: "let me make a copy of that thing before I irremediably mess it up".

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 50
(851 Views)

@X. wrote:
OK, but you still loose the position you were at in the string when you decided: "let me make a copy of that thing before I irremediably mess it up".

<any character>, Ctrl-z, Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+Shift+End, Ctrl+c, Ctrl+Shift+z, Ctrl+z

😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 50
(836 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

@X. wrote:

<any character>, Ctrl-z, Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+Shift+End, Ctrl+c, Ctrl+Shift+z, Ctrl+z

😄

Yes, but - as mentioned earlier - it isn't even the developer who it would irk the most.  In the end, it is the user who decides what is appropriate and what is not.  The user will be annoyed when the software doesn't function as expected.  For instance, if the user always used ctrl+a to select everything and it just inserted an "a" into the text, he would be annoyed.  If the user had highlighted all the text and pressed ctrl+c only to find it replaced all the hihglighted text with a "c", he would probably be steaming.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 50
(828 Views)

Ctrl+c works as expected.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 50
(819 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Ctrl+c works as expected.

Yeah, I just noticed that.  Actually, it must have been fixed recently, because, according to this thred, a CAR was filed against ctrl+c and ctrl+x.  Please understand I am not trying to be combative.  I truly understand this has been very consistent with LabVIEW itself and I don't consider them "bugs."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 50
(812 Views)

The CAR is about Ctrl-C dropping a "c" if you DO NOT select anything.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 50
(809 Views)

@billko wrote:

I truly understand this has been very consistent with LabVIEW itself and I don't consider them "bugs."

"Consistent within LabVIEW itself" isn't a good reason to keep something. If it's inconsistent with Everything Else(TM) out there, it creates problems for users. One of the biggest examples is LabVIEW's Alt+Tab behaviour: that has been VERY consistent within LabVIEW itself since the dawn of time, but it drives users nuts!

I think it'd be great for LabVIEW to have Ctrl-A/Ctrl+C/Ctrl-X behave like Everything Else(TM), in line with the Principle of least astonishmentI can agree that the word "bug" might be unsuitable here, but it's still an "undesirable characteristic" and a worthy candidate for change.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 50
(794 Views)