LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X Bug

I would say that the more significant deficiency is that ctrl-A doesn't work.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 50
(1,112 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I would say that the more significant deficiency is that ctrl-A doesn't work.

Well that certainly is a distinct possibility for a solution...

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 50
(1,105 Views)

Sometimes I accidentially press Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-V to paste. I realize my mistake and press Ctrl-V. I end up with c + the pasted text. Annoying.

Btw, I like the (OS) feature that Ctrl-C with nothing selected does not empty the clipboard.

Message 23 of 50
(1,088 Views)

National Instruments has an Idea Exchange where you can post ideas that you have for future editions of LabVIEW and other NI products. This is a great example of what should be posted to the Idea Exchange!

NI Idea Exchange: ni.com/ideas

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 50
(1,072 Views)

@TBirkulosis wrote:

National Instruments has an Idea Exchange where you can post ideas that you have for future editions of LabVIEW and other NI products. This is a great example of what should be posted to the Idea Exchange!

NI Idea Exchange: ni.com/ideas

I thought this is a bad example of what should be posted to the Idea Exchange, because the majority seems to agree this is a bug.

Unless you're talking about the Ctrl-A of course, this could be something for the Idea Exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 50
(1,061 Views)

@dan_u wrote:

I thought this is a bad example of what should be posted to the Idea Exchange, because the majority seems to agree this is a bug.

Unless you're talking about the Ctrl-A of course, this could be something for the Idea Exchange.

I don't know the proper NI-etiquette (NI-tiquette?) but I've often seen ideas posted, and then someone from NI would close it out as a bug and list the CAR.  I doubt the Idea Exchange was created with that intention but it does help getting exposure to an idea, that others consider a bug.  In this case I would rather post it and let NI decide how to handle it.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 50
(1,050 Views)

There is already a CAR for the bug reported here (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X working non-standardly).

I have attempted to catch the attention of NI on more offending bugs by posting them on the LV Idea Exchange.

Usually I get lambasted, but that's fine with me.

I start with a generic LV thread when I am not quite sure of what I am experiencing.

I'll just concur with the Ctrl-A also dropping a character "a" in Run mode being a bug. The "problem" is that in Edit mode it sort of works, in the sense that Ctrl-A within a string selects THE CONTROL. It could probably argued that this is not what the user most likely wanted to do, hence this IS a bug, but who am I to argue?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 50
(1,040 Views)

@X. wrote:

There is already a CAR for the bug reported here (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X working non-standardly).

I have attempted to catch the attention of NI on more offending bugs by posting them on the LV Idea Exchange.

Usually I get lambasted, but that's fine with me.

I start with a generic LV thread when I am not quite sure of what I am experiencing.

I'll just concur with the Ctrl-A also dropping a character "a" in Run mode being a bug. The "problem" is that in Edit mode it sort of works, in the sense that Ctrl-A within a string selects THE CONTROL. It could probably argued that this is not what the user most likely wanted to do, hence this IS a bug, but who am I to argue?

LOL I'm not sure whether or not to classify it as a bug because I'm still not clear on whether or not it was expected behavior!  (Expected by NI, not expected by the hapless user/developer.)  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 50
(1,038 Views)

We do consider it a bug (see the CAR# above), which makes it not a good candidate for the idea exchange. Typically we would close ideas on the idea exchange if we have them filed as bugs against the product, although sometimes there is an interesting discussion around the idea (similar to this thread) which can help us characterize how the bug should be fixed and what the impact is currently. In a similar vein, there are behaviors that fall into a gray area where the community might have a different consensus than we do internally about whether a certain functionality is correct or not, and that is a good candidate for the idea exchange (I was trying to find an example of this, but couldn't find one quickly).

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Message 29 of 50
(1,010 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@dan_u wrote:

I don't know the proper NI-etiquette (NI-tiquette?) but I've often seen ideas posted, and then someone from NI would close it out as a bug and list the CAR.  I doubt the Idea Exchange was created with that intention but it does help getting exposure to an idea, that others consider a bug.  In this case I would rather post it and let NI decide how to handle it.

CAR 428102 Ctrl + C and Ctrl + X do not behave correctly for empty strings is closed as dup.  Track CAR 404637 Ctrl-Z should NOT type a "z" character when the undo stack is empty (applies to other menu items as well)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 50
(984 Views)