From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping a SubVI from the MainVI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am creating a program in which a power supply will apply a bias for X seconds, step up the voltage for X seconds and so on.  While the bias is applied, I want to use a digital multimeter to measure the current every Y seconds (Y < X).  I am just starting out the framework of my code, and I haven't written anything that controls the instruments yet.

I am really working on having "neat code", and have the main code fit onto one screen.  I am trying to use subVIs as much as possible and make my code more modular.  On Thursday, I am actually taking the Core 2 class!

In the meantime, I have a problem.  I have two while loops running in a subVI.  One is use to determine when to change the bias, and the other is use to determine if a measurement is required (eventually I will append the data to a file which is while you'll see an "append" label if the if statement.  The problem occurs when I press stop from the Main VI, I still have to wait for that subVI to finish.  If it was just a few seconds, I wouldn't care, but the bias could be applied for hours.  

I've looked online and some articles have suggested using global variables which I don't have any experience with (yet).  I wasn't able to get a notifier to work, but I am not sure if passing a notifier is even possible.   The SubVI is called Elapsed Time.

I'd really appreciate some tips!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,978 Views)

When attaching more than one file, please put them all in a single zip file. Thanks.

(For example, my downloads folder already has a several files originally named main.vi, so yours would get renamed to "main(25).vi" causing endless confusion. A zip file can be extracted into a new folder, making cross-linking much less probably)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,966 Views)

Certainly 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,961 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _natalie_

Some quick comments:

• For the notifier to work across subVI boundaries, you wither need to give it a name or wire the notifier as an input to the subVI. (details)
  • Make your units button into a radiobutton control. No need to "check units". And to convert to seconds, just use it to index into an array of multipliers.
  • There is probably no need to spin the upper loop in "elapsed time" as fast as the computer allows if there is nothing to do.
  • You are only using relative times, so "high resolution relative seconds" is probably cleaner.

Message 4 of 5
(1,940 Views)

Great suggestions!

Thanks, I got it working.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,859 Views)