LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepper motor control

Hello everyone,

I am trying to control a nanotec 2-phase stepper motor (L5918L3008-T10x2) in LabVIEW. I found a suitable driver: https://en.nanotec.com/fileadmin/files/Handbuecher/Motorcontrols/CL3-E_CANopen_USB_Technical_Manual_...

The purpose of the project: control 3 stepper motors separately between 2 setpoints: the home (0) and final (1) position. 

So it seems there are two ways to control the stepper motor that are most straightforward:

1. USB port on PC --> RS485 converter --> RS485 interface on motor controller
Use VISA write/read low level VIs /Modbus to control setpoints of motorcontroller.

2. USB port on PC --> micro USB port on motor controller  

The stepper motor will act as a mass storage USB device with some configuration textfiles. In these files I could write the home and final positions, and access the .txt files in the labVIEW VI. (I don't know how to communicate with the motor to set the 0 or 1 motor state). 

I found out that there are drivers supplied for labview users. I attached these to this post. I studied these VIs and learned that there are objects like "60 60" to be sent to the visa write (Index and sub index control in the FP, respectively.) Each object has a unique action.

I am looking for more information on the following:

-What would be the best way to connect these 3 stepper motors in LabVIEW (physical connections, )

-How should they be controlled in LabVIEW. 

I'm looking forward to your reactions 🙂

A snippet from the manual to explain the previous:

Schermafbeelding 2017-10-17 om 13.59.31.pngSchermafbeelding 2017-10-17 om 13.59.23.pngSchermafbeelding 2017-10-17 om 13.54.53.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,593 Views)

I'd assume when connecting with option 2), you also get a virtual com port. If so, I'd expect you can send the commands over that com port too. Not sure, but it would make sense and is easy to check (the port will show up in e.g. device manager) if you have the hardware connected.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,549 Views)