From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral Plot

Hi Every Body,

I am developing RF measurement system. In My code I need to distribute complex numbers as a spiral but I should be able to have a control on the spiral's location. the location of the spiral should be along Line. the line is ploted between two points and those points are complex numbers (R +Ij ). Please see the attached picture. 

could any of you help me in doing that. 

Thank you in Advance for your attention

best Regards

Thoalfukar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,981 Views)

Actually I could do the spiral but on the midpoint of the line .... I want to be able to move it along that line 

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,971 Views)

Hi Thoalfukar,

Is the picture that you attached from your own code or it is taken from someone elses? Can you upload/screenshot any code that you have tried?

This community page shows how you might plot a complex number on an XY graph:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28831

To move along a line could you just add a weighting to the real value?

Kind regards

Pete

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,890 Views)

Hi Pete, 

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

please see the attached file of my code. 

If you notice that this code now work as I want but the problem is I did it by try & error and I can't explain how it works. the other thing is when I change the unit of values the code will not work correctly. it strainge a litil bit. 

thank you in advance for your attention 

best regards 

thoalfukar 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,871 Views)

Hi every body, 

I just want to renew my post in order to get help to do this type of plot .. 

thank you

best regards

Thoalfukar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,809 Views)

I am 2011, do not see your code. Why can not you add constant complex number to an array to shift it as a whole?

PS. Link property node to xy graph, making snipped disconnected it

add complex.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,790 Views)

Hi Alexander,

Thanks alot for your attention.

actually by your code the location of the spiral should be  adjusted the by the user while I want it aoutomated. I mean the spiral follows two points  (the start of the spiral = any location on the line ) (the end point = the real part of the Maximum Reflection Coefficient ) 

please see the attached picturs 

thank you again for yor attention 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,769 Views)

Then I do not understand your problem.

Now your code can generate a spiral at given location based on input parameters (% Line, start, end, max radius = max reflection, number of circles = phases). Output - either a complex array (values) or cluster of Real and Imaginary parts. Clustter you can wire to the graph, values are easier to process).

(VI needs some cleaning. You do not need for loops in it - "build array" accepts element, it does not require array of these elements. Passing parameters with local variables if you can replace them with wires is a very bad style).

Make it a subVI and call it, varying any parameter you need. 

Do you need it to bounce along line with loop iterations? .Convert loop iteration into % Line and show new spiral every time. 

Do you need 3 spirals for 3 different lines? Call this subVI 3 times with 3 different start and end point values.

You can already join multiple clusters into array and show them on one graph, show one Line and these 3 spirals on one graph, not a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,732 Views)

Hi Alexander,

Thak you so much for your attention. 

I am not sure where is the problem. It seems that the code is fine but is not give me the right plot. I think the problem the units that I am using. 

thanks again for your help 

best regards

Thoalfukar

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,632 Views)

And what is wrong with the plot? Does it place spiral center into wrong place?

Can you save vi for 2011?

One more question: Do you have coercion dots disabled? Your Max and Min powers are complex, and % of displacement along the line is real. There should be a coercion dot, though calculations should be fine.

I do not like LV units. If I need to display something in the numeric number, I edit format string. With advanced editing of display format and si notation it gives me most of the things I need. Automatically display 1.4MHz for example in the numeric field instead of 1400000 and Hz in caption or units.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,612 Views)