cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed measurement and data collection

Solved!
Go to solution

Good morning,

To measure the speed of 8 encoders the same time.
- signal + -10 V 350 pulses / 1 turn, in practice 8.3 kHz signal,
- collected data stored for at least 1 week,

I chose the NI-9423 card, the system is to be based on a PC.

Question:

1. Is LabViev enough to collect data and display it easily to the operator?
2. I haven't bought a license for LabView yet, I know it from university. If I buy a license for 1 year, will the built system stop working after a year?

I hope that I will be able to answer 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,080 Views)

1. Yes

2. You buy a license for a version, or the fully supported service license for a year (which includes older versions, should you need it). In either case the version you bought it for is always valid.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,070 Views)

Thank you for your answer,

Of course, I have more questions :):

1. Will LabVIEW Base also be able to register data? So that the machine operator can view the speed waveforms.

2. Will LabView need to be reconfigured after shutting down the PC station? Maybe a file \ ...... Vi.

3. Is the license for 1 year Lab View after 1 year, my built speed measurement station on the PC will stop working?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,046 Views)
Solution
Accepted by odyseusz

To measure the speed of 8 encoders the same time.
- signal + -10 V 350 pulses / 1 turn, in practice 8.3 kHz signal,
- collected data stored for at least 1 week,

I chose the NI-9423 card, the system is to be based on a PC.

Question:

1. Is LabViev enough to collect data and display it easily to the operator?

The *HARDWARE* isn't enough, entirely independent of LabVIEW or other programming languages.

You need to do frequency measurements with counters.  Your DIO module merely conditions signals to pass them through to the chassis' 4 internal counters which can measure, at most, 4 distinct frequencies at any given time.   You either need a counter-dense module or another chassis.  I'm not immersed enough in the cDAQ world to give more specific advice than that.

2. I haven't bought a license for LabView yet, I know it from university. If I buy a license for 1 year, will the built system stop working after a year?

Executables, once built,  have *always* been free to run *forever*.  They require the appropriate "LabVIEW Run-Time" installation", but that has also always been freely available from NI *forever*.   If you buy a license that includes Application Builder for a year, any applications you build during that licensed year can be executed *forever*.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,027 Views)
Solution
Accepted by odyseusz

That device isn't going to work by itself. It needs to be integrated into a cDAQ chassis. Like Kevin said, you need a dedicated counter per encoder input, and maybe one more if you want to read the encoder position at a known rate instead of just on-demand. The 9423 does not have any counters in it, but the chassis usually have up to 4. They definitely do NOT have 8 though, so you'd need to add more cards. The 9361 has 8 0-24V counter inputs , so one of those might work (I only skimmed the datasheet) but you still need a chassis. They have some lower cost single-card chassis out there.

LabVIEW *can* do this, BUT it's a programming language, not a datalogging tool. If you're looking to generate code, LabVIEW is a great way to do it. If you just want to measure some encoders, something like FlexLogger would likely be a better option for you. That, or a benchtop frequency counter device.

Again, the card you picked is definitely NOT going to work regardless of how you program it.

To phrase it another way, asking if LabVIEW can do this is like saying "Can Python do this?" While technically yes it can, you will be in for a rude awakening if you're expecting to just turn it on and measure something in a few minutes. You will have to write a program first. Flexlogger does support the 9361 counter input card, so if you don't want to generate code I'd try that out.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,011 Views)

Yes, the 9361 will be good and you need to buy DAQChassis with it.

The plan was to generate a program in LabView that remembers data for up to 1 week, generated to .exe. LabViewRuntime would be played on another computer to which the physical 9361 will be permanently connected.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(998 Views)
Solution
Accepted by odyseusz

Hi odyseusz,

@odyseusz wrote:

The plan was to generate a program in LabView that remembers data for up to 1 week, generated to .exe.

Save your data to a file, so they can last "forever"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(973 Views)