I recently updated my labview development environment from 2014 to 2020.
I have a test rig which has two accelerometer sensors placed 90degrees apart to measure acceleration (mm/s^2) in the horizontal direction (x) and the vertical direction (y) around a rotating machine.
I have a program using the sound and vibration toolkit which takes the time signal from the acceleration sensors and double integrates to provide a displacement with time. Using a tacho signal which gives me a pulse once per revolution I am able to put together the x & y displacement signals into an orbit centered around co-ordinates 0,0 in the xy plane.
After updating to the 2020 version of Labview and the 2020 sound and vibration toolkit I ran the same VI again. This time however the orbits were floating around in the xy plane and not centered around
I am wondering if any issues are known or any major modifications were done to the code used in the Sound and Vibration toolkit or integration modules?
Solved! Go to Solution.
What Hardware and Software changed between 2014 (when, I presume, the code worked) and 2021 (when, with a new LabVIEW development environment) the original code doesn't give similar results?
Have you looked at all of the Release Notes from 2015 through 2020? Any clues?
When was the last time you ran the "old code"? Do you still have the "configuration that worked"? Could it be a "hardware issue" (that is, some instrument processing the signals, or the device-under-test, is simply mis-performing and LabVIEW is "telling it as it is right now"?). Can you replace the Data Input section of your code with a routine that simulates the DAQ Hardware and provides "known good accelerometer data"? [Frankly, being a software guy, this sounds like "hardware" to me ...].
Thank you for your reply.
The machine I was using is Windows 7 so the latest version of VI to work on windows 7 is Labview 2014.
We purchased a new machine which has windows 10 so I then installed Labview 2020 on it.
I then opened the original code (LV2014) in the new environment (LV2020) and ran the code and got my issue.
I tried looking in the release notes but was unable to find anything that might be causing the issue.
In reference to your hardware issue: I ran the same signal on the old machine and I got a stable orbit centered around 0 and then on the new machine and I got the orbit that disappears off the screen. Looks like an offset is somehow introduced in the new LV2020 libraries / drivers. I do not know.
I can confirm it is not a "hardware" issue.
I found the bug or the issue.
In the Sound Vibration Measurement Suite (SVMS) 2016 an integration filter was changed. Prior to 2016 the filter used was Butterworth 5th Order. After 2016 the filter used was Elliptic & 2nd order. I changed it to butterworth 5th order and orbit stayed in place after integration.
I attach a screen shot of the subvi that was changed. It is two levels down in SVLIntegration (N Ch).vi