cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorensen XG 60-14 error

Solved!
Go to solution

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The IVI-COM driver seems an odd choice to begin with. As much as I dislike IVI-C, the IVI-COM approach is at least an order of magnitude worse.

I guess I am used to it. The IVI-COM is similar to how you'd have to interact with Excel when using ActiveX. Nothing unusual.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(1,476 Views)

1.) IAmetekXGOutputs

2.) IAmetekXGOutputChannel

3.) IAmetekXGSystem

4.) IAmetekXG - which you are reusing via shift register

ok, i see that i need to close the IAmetekXGOutputs ref. too.

Unclosed references cause Excel to remain running in the background which is why I notice them.

Sorry, but I do not get it: how does the Microsoft Excel comes here in this topic?

Dennis_Knutson:

The IVI-COM driver seems an odd choice to begin with. As much as I dislike IVI-C, the IVI-COM approach is at least an order of magnitude worse.

I am not really too deep in these details...I have paid money for this Sorensen PSU, and as you say, this company gives me ****** driver to download to use it in my LabView application?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(1,457 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Unclosed references cause Excel to remain running in the background which is why I notice them.

Sorry, but I do not get it: how does the Microsoft Excel comes here in this topic?

I don't know what to say if you cannot understand an analogy.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(1,442 Views)
It was your choice to use IVI-COM instead of IVI-C. It was also your choice not to use the IVI class driver. You also ignored the LabVIEW driver that was posted.

p.s. IVI-COM is based on ActiveX and hence the similarity to controlling excel.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(1,434 Views)

Sorry about that, I am a bit slow to process the new info 🙂

And really thanks for the help guys!

It was your choice to use IVI-COM instead of IVI-C. It was also your choice not to use the IVI class driver.

After installing the packages ("IVI-C and IVI-COM Drivers - 64 bit - (4370438V1.0.5) v1.0.5" and the "XG Labview Driver V1.0.2 - Windows 64 bit for Labview 2012" files from the http://www.sorensen.com/products/XG/XG_Downloads.htm site) from the company website, I only got the posted folder (lvlib pack in my first post inside the zip file) in the instr.lib, should I have got other files too? I could not find anything else, so I used the only option in my labview app which can be found on the official site...

So please explain what you mean about IVI-com, IVI-C and IVI class driver? Where can I download these other options?

You also ignored the LabVIEW driver that was posted.

Thanks very much RTSLVU for posting this pack! Would it be possible to get it in LV2012 version? He wrote that it is for the SG models. Is it also good for the XG model?

I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(1,416 Views)

Ok, I let the system run with the 3 refnum close modification, so I do not let any ref unclosed insie the subVI. Hopefully this time it will work.

If I get error again, I guess using the linked Sorensen SG driver llb (which is using VISA as I understand?) will be a good starting point to create my init/setcurrent/stop VI by checking what kind of ascii SCPI commands are available for my XG model from its manual...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(1,393 Views)
IVI-C drivers are written in LabWindows/CVI and were the original IVI driver. The installer from ametek should have given you the option to install it. The LabVIEW code that calls an IVI-C is nothing more than a Call Library Function Node. Your block diagram would not be stretched out with numerous activex property nodes like your current code.

When you install the IVI Compliance Package, you get the IVI class functions. These are the generic functions (dmm, scope, power supply) that you would use in order to swap instruments from different vendors without changing your code. That's really the intent of an IVI driver.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 33
(1,390 Views)

The installer from Ametek (folder Ametek_XG_1-0-2_64b_LabView2012 in the same named zip file) does not give any option, and only creates a folder under programs which includes the driver with activex property nodes...So I have still no idea how to get the C version to be able to use Call Library Function Nodes...

anyway, thanks for the explanation, it is getting more clear now 🙂

EDIT: there is also another file to download, called

IVI-C and IVI-COM Drivers - 64 bit - (4370438V1.0.5) v1.0.5

After installing it, it creates a folder: c:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\AmetekXG\Source\,

and here I can see h, c, and cpp files. So I guess I could build a dll, and using it with Call Library Function Nodes... I do not know how difficult to do this however... 🙂

EDIT2: I guess I could try the "Import shared library wizard" from Labview to create what i need?....

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(1,382 Views)

Thanks very much RTSLVU for posting this pack! Would it be possible to get it in LV2012 version? He wrote that it is for the SG models. Is it also good for the XG model?

I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,

You can download them here

SGI http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=7771

XG http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=20077

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(1,363 Views)

Thanks, but the problem is that, the NI site only directs me to the Ametek site. Moreover, the Ametek site does not have VISA driver for the XG model (only C++ source code and the ActiveX approach). Anyway, as I wrote above, if I get error again with my modified ActiveX driver, I will try to use the SG model's VISA driver with some modifications, using the XG manual...

EDIT: by the way: I wonder why the Ametek/Sorensen does give VISA driver for the SGI model, but not for the XG model...?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 33
(1,357 Views)