LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software and Interface card required for DNP3 communication with a protection relay?

I am looking to build a SCADA Master to perform DNP3 communication between the Master and an Outstation device. I would like to know apart from the Ni - Industrial comm software is there any other Interface card I require to accomplish this task?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,747 Views)

That’s a very open ended question…communication wise you only need an ethernet or a serial port at the outstation. If you are planning to perform local measurements or analysis, I’m sure that’s a good question for the local NI sales representative. After discussing the application’s specific needs, we will be able to provide the information that you seek.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,712 Views)

Oh, Thank you very much! Yes, the outstation has an Ethernet port, And can send DNP3 packets over Ethernet. The outstation device is connected to my PC via ethernet. Will the Labview software be able to communicate to the device via Ethernet? Provided, I have the NI - Industrial Comm for DNP3 installed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,698 Views)

According to this article, that’s all you need. Just make sure you run applications as an administrator and that you don’t have any type of network restrictions. Since you have it installed, I encourage you to test the functionality/connectivity through the shipping examples, which are located on your hard disc at ...LabVIEW XXX\examples\DNP3 folder (also visible at the NI Example Finder). You can modify an example VI to fit an application, or you can copy and paste from one or more examples into a VI that you create.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,680 Views)

Thanks a lot. Its a lot clear now. And labview does not support DNP3 inherently right? Do I need the "NI-Industrial Communications for DNP3 Software for LabVIEW" package?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,662 Views)
You've already been told that. LabVIEW inherently has all of the TCP/IP functions if you want to create the higher level protocol yourself.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,654 Views)