From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Triggering a NI USB-5133

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been trying to understand how to software trigger a USB-5133 using Ni Scope in LabVIEW

I have tried all the Software trigger settings and can not figure out how to trigger the scope.

So far every attempt results in this error:

ScopeErrCapture.PNG

I have tried troubleshooting using the Acquisition Status VI in a loop and it always returns Acquisition in progress, meaning the 5133 is not being triggered.

What am I doing wrong here?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,282 Views)

Please share the VI in a older version.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,277 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Please share the VI in a older version.

I would love to but...

SSErrCapture.PNG

Here's a picture of what I am trying, all the VI's are part of the NI-Scope toolkit.

SS2Capture.PNG

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU
I would try a delay between "initiate acquisition" and "send SW trigger". Or, you can set the Pre-Trigger time to 0%. Can you try these?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,260 Views)
Actually, on the "Send Software Trigger" VI, use the input to make it a "Reference Trigger" rather than the default of "Start Trigger".
Message 5 of 9
(1,249 Views)

@Gregory wrote:
I would try a delay between "initiate acquisition" and "send SW trigger". Or, you can set the Pre-Trigger time to 0%. Can you try these?

%0 pre-trigger had no effect

I also tried inserting a delay but gave up at 5 seconds between starting acquisition and sending the software trigger.

No cigar...

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,246 Views)

@Gregory wrote:
Actually, on the "Send Software Trigger" VI, use the input to make it a "Reference Trigger" rather than the default of "Start Trigger".

That was it,  I swear I tried that yesterday.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,243 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@Gregory wrote:

That was it,  I swear I tried that yesterday.

It doesn't work anymore?

SS3Capture.PNG

I don't understand how something so simple can be so unreliable. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,209 Views)

Okay with a clear head this morning I figured this out, it was a combination of initially using the wrong trigger and then not waiting for the scope to be ready to trigger.

I added a VI that takes my selected Time/Div and Pre-Trigger, then calculates the time to wait for Pre-Trigger data to be acquired before advancing the software trigger.

But this brings up a question that I remember having when I first started with Ni-Scope

Why is there no way to determine Trigger Status? 

No, Acquisition Status? is NOT the same thing.

As Acquisition Status only tells you if acquisition is complete. I suppose you could say if it's not complete then it is still "waiting for trigger", but you could be wrong.

Specially in the case of a slow acquisition (seconds/div).

Any modern DSO I have used had a VI to determine Trigger Status and would return several states.

Such as:

Stopped (Acquisition complete)

Ready, Armed, or Waiting (pre-trigger acquisition complete, waiting for trigger) 

Pre-trigger (pre-trigger acquisition in process)

Triggered (Post trigger acquisition in progress)

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,155 Views)