From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Fonts missing from Icon editor selection

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

Recently had to do a new laptop, and just realized that I can no longer select Small Fonts within the icon editor.  It is installed fine, and in the main program, it appears on the font list.  But, if I open the icon editor, it is not available.

If I edit the INI file and set the font to Small Fonts, then I it seems to work, as long as I don't change the selection.

Any ideas?

Windows 10 Pro, LV2017 and LV2018 both show the problem.

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,979 Views)

I also just realized that if Small Fonts was not the last font used within a specific icon, I don't seem to be able to get back to Small Fonts.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,969 Views)

Panic time!  I just opened my Dell Laptop (Windows 10 x64, LabVIEW 2016, 2017, and 2018, 32-bit) and opened the Icon Editor.  On the Icon Text screen, the Font shows "Small Fonts" (Whew!).  Similarly, the Text Tools in Layers also shows Small Fonts.

Not sure why you are having this problem, but it doesn't seem (to me) to be Windows or LabVIEW's fault.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,937 Views)

I see a few Google hits that might seem interesting.  (I Googled "labview icon editor no small fonts".)

What's maybe just as interesting is Bob replied to one of them.  😉  And no, not this one.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,923 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew_Kelton

Well, it appears to have been a Windows issue.  I still don't know why Small Fonts was available in the VI, but not the icon editor, but I got it working.

I downloaded the source code for the icon editor to try to get an idea of how it populated the list.  If I set the INI file variable, it actually used Small Fonts even if it wasn't on this list.  So, it was weird that it could access it, but not show it in the list.  So, the icon editor looks in the registry for the list of fonts.  Sure enough, that led to new Google searches which basically led me to believe that the font install was corrupted.

After fixing it, I probably could have fixed this myself within the registry now that I know the proper entries needed.  However, I didn't have access to another computer and wasn't sure that registry entries alone would fix it.

It should be noted as well that within Windows 10, the fonts showed up as installed if I browsed the C:\Windows\Fonts directory, but not show up if I looked at the Fonts Settings in the Control Panel.  Even after fixing it, Small Fonts still does not show up in the Fonts Control Panel Window.

So, I had to uninstall and reinstall the fonts, which was not trivial, as getting the font uninstalled would not delete the physical font file, and reinstalling, trying to overwrite the existing file would just result in the same original situation.  On Windows 10 at least, font files are owned by the TrustedInstaller, and even Administrators cannot delete the files.  Many sites state to just take ownership of the files, but Windows wouldn't even let me do that.

I finally found this - https://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/409760-solved-trustedinstaller-access-denied-permissions... - and the takeown and icacls commands finally got it to the point where I could delete the physical files and reinstall the fonts.  Once reinstalled, everything started working.

So, thank goodness NI provides the source for the icon editor, as I am not sure if I would have figured it out without very quickly.

Message 5 of 8
(3,917 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,665 Views)

This one should work (I just came from there):  Remove Trusted Installer as Owner.  Note that this is a somewhat dangerous thing to do, as you are messing with things that Microsoft really doesn't want you to mess with.  When you finish "messing", you should replace Trusted Installer as the owner -- a link contained in the link above describes how to do that.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,636 Views)

Hello everyone!

I found a solution when the font "Small Fonts" is missing in the Icon Editor.

You just have to edit a line from the LabVIEW.ini file:

IconEditor.TextTab.TextFont="Small Fonts"

This allows you to apply this font, even if it does not appear on Icon Editor selection.

Pierre Perrin

Message 8 of 8
(1,900 Views)