LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish operation of LABVIEW 7.1

I am using LABVIEW 7.1 on Windows XP with IBM machine having 512 MB memory. My application is based on IOTech's DAQ1000 board with analog I/O, digital I/O, serial data transfer using RS232 port and USB based label printer. The application is developed and used for automatic product programming and testing.

The problem is, when we reboot the machine and start doing our work, we pass/fail one board in around 10 seconds. Then the time continue to increase. After 3-4 hours, If I program and test even the same board (the first one), it takes around 18 second to pass/fail. And if we try to continue over night, machine just like hangs and I can not quit out of Labview, even forcefully using the task manager.

What could be the cause? If any one had such problem and solved it, let me know. Some time I am getting virtual memory low message even though I allocated remaining harddisk for virtual memory (around 10 GB).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(3,140 Views)
Sounds like you have a memory leak in your application. Use task manager and watch the labview process and the memory values as the vi runs. It will be hard to diagnose without seeing your code.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(3,116 Views)
This is very likely a memory leak like Unclebump said. Also remember that Windows by default will only allocate any given application 2GB of memory, regardless of whether it's in RAM or virtual. LabVIEW isn't designed to address anything beyond 2GB, so that will be the ceiling.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(3,089 Views)
I also face one more problem. I am trying to install LABVIEW 7.1 on one of my PC where I am getting message about previous installation. However I don't see any previous installation on machine anywhere even in list of software present on machine.  What could be the coz for these. I am using LABVIEW 7.1.

If the installation runs through well then I can have more diagosis capacity as running some thing on my spare PC.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(3,078 Views)

I am getting following message while installing LabVIEW7.1,

A more comprehensive distribution of LabView7.1 has been detected on the system. Please remove teh other distribution before installing this distribution of Labview 7.1

My control panel (add/remove software doesn't show any entry of Labview neither I found any folder under program files or windows/system.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(3,071 Views)
You might try the following MSIBlast Utility. It doesn't actually uninstall anything, but it is intended to clean up any left-over installation components. Check out this link and run the utility attached in one of those posts. See if anything related to LabVIEW 7.1 is still present and remove it if necessary. Does that help with your install?
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(3,054 Views)

I tried MSIBlast day before posting, when I was searching through the forum. But it is not showing any NI installer and when I see all installer, I found only following four installers,

- Adobe reader 7

- Gear CD-RW

- Microsoft office 2000

- WebFldrs XP

I also tried to find out any registry entry using Regedit. There is no registry entry for LABVIEW, NI, National or National Instrument in registry.

Still I am getting the message. What is wrong with the system?

Pragnesh

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(3,049 Views)
Are you installing LabVIEW 7.1 or the run-time engine for LabVIEW 7.1?
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(3,046 Views)

I am trying to install LabView 7.1 using the disk labelled LabView 7 Express full development system for Windows 2000/NT/XP version 7.1. I am using this machine since last year and I have never seen any installation on this machine. I do not know about any previous installation before I started using this machine. I do have other three CDs labelled,

- Device driver reference CD Disk 1/2

- Device driver reference CD Disk 2/2

- Labview companion products for Windows. March 2004.

I already searched through Add/Remove new software ---> no entry for Labview, NI, National Instrument

Registry ---> No entry for Labview, NI, National, National Instrument

ProgramFiles ---> no such folder

Windows / system32 ----> No *.dll seems to be for NI, Labview or National

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(3,045 Views)
I'm wondering if one of two things happened:

1. Someone who previously used your computer had NI software installed, but then improperly uninstalled it. For instance, they may have thought that deleting the National Instruments folder and some registry keys would uninstall the applications.

2. Another product is installed with the same GUID. This would be pretty random, but as far as I know it's not impossible. The GUID is how an installed application is uniquely identified with Windows. It's a long string of numbers. You might try searching the registry for LabVIEW's GUID code. You can find this code in the Setup.ini file on your installer CD. Look for something similar to:

[Distribution]
Title=1
GUID={35778CDA-9DAB-4CBE-9246-592A8B9A8317}
Version=7.1
IDPath=nidist.id

Keep in mind the GUID above is for the PDS, and it might differ for the Full or Base packages. See if a search for that GUID gives us anything.

In terms of your overall goal, though, I'm not sure it would be too beneficial to test the app on another machine just yet. Have you checked Task Manager to see if your memory is saturating while the app runs? Are you creating and killing any DAQ tasks for your third party DAQ inside a loop? Are you building arrays inside a loop? These would be very valuable things to know for troubleshooting purposes.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(3,032 Views)