LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow LabVIEW 8.2 execution with UI events

Just found this thread while searching for a solution.
The issue:  Labview runs very slow unless a drop down menu is visible.

We have experianced this issue on all of our company machines with various pieces of code.
Is there any fix available ?
 Thank you,
M
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,575 Views)
Which version of LabVIEW are you using?  I believe this issue was fixed in LabVIEW 8.2.1.
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,543 Views)

Travis M,

I have also encountered the problem of significantly slowed GUI performance caused by the use of run-time menus. 

I really wasn't sure why my GUI was running slower when I upgraded to 8.2 and 8.5, but I figured it was my own coding techniques.  However, after reading this discussion, I removed the "Get Menu Selection.VI", and noticed the controls on my GUI worked much more quickly!  Obviously, I need the "Get Menu Selection.VI", so this isn't the solution.  It is an important issue that NI needs to resolve!  I love using menus.

Please offer a work around, or the hope that this will be resolved soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,438 Views)

Hi GigaMo Man,

I'm not sure I understand the upgrade you made.  Did you upgrade from 8.2 to 8.5 or from some previous version to 8.2 and see the same behavior in 8.5?  What operating system are you seeing this on?  Could you provide a VI that exhibits this behavior?  One thing that has been discussed is that the VI speeds up when the menu is visible.  Is this what you are seeing, or does your VI slow down once the menu is displayed and an item selected?

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,398 Views)

Hi Donovan,

The upgrade I made was from 8.2 to 8.5.  Sorry for the confusion.  I am using Windows XP (32 bit).

My menu is visable.  Check out the example I made to show that problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,391 Views)
If you look at the Get Menu Selection, you'll notice that there is a (default) 200 msec timeout.  If you change this timeout to, say, 0, the execution appears similar.  Modified code is attached.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,387 Views)
Thank you very much!  That was the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,374 Views)

I had exactly the same problem and your solution worked for me as well.

I grab in a main-VI frames with a framgrabber (NI-1411) (winXp / LabView 8.5) my frame grabbing was limmiter to 3.33 frames per second. After a long search I found that the "get menu selection.vi" gefering to my self-made runtime menu was the limiting step. I filled in a timeout of 0 seconds and now I grab around 24 frames per second.

It took me quite some time, and without this forum I did not found the solution at all.

To avoid problem with for other users; can the default value not be 0??

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,238 Views)