From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPEG

Hi All,
After searching around yesterday in the forums, I understand that LV 7.1 will not work with Windows Media Player 9 or higher, only version 8 which is no longer available. I am not in the position to upgrade to LV 8.2 right now. Has anyone had any success with any other (free or course) media player? I need to display real-time video on my front panel.
Thanks,
Teri
Message 1 of 8
(3,547 Views)
You can get old version of Windows Media Player from:

George Zou

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,523 Views)
Thanks...I never heard of this site.
Teri
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,516 Views)
Version 8 doesn't exist. I think it only came in OEM bundles. Oh, well, now I'm trying to accomplish the task using QuickTime...that's not going well either!
Thanks,
Teri
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,517 Views)
Just wanted to follow-up with what I ended up doing...I ended up purchasing video capture software from Viscomsoft and it works great. What I was trying to accomplish was to feed live video into an ActiveX container and when the operator selected "save" I create a snapshot (jpg) of the current picture. It now works flawlessly. I'm sure there is freeware out there somewhere but luckily there was $100 in my project budget to quickly solve the problem.

Thanks to all,
Teri

PS: Forum users...please post your solutions if you resolved your problem! It's frustrating to see the same problem you're having listed and then no resolution!
Message 5 of 8
(3,467 Views)
Hi Teri,

I don't suppose I could have a look at the code you wrote for that could I? I'm after doing something similar but I want to caprute time lapse from a video source.

Many thanks,

Jon
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,164 Views)
Hi Jon,
It's pretty simple. Attached is a small sample, will not run, just shows the way I used the ActiveX control. You have to "register" the ActiveX object...where I found how to do that I have no idea! It's been a long time and many machines ago. After inserting the picture display, the ActiveX control, you right click on it and select "Select ActiveX Object..." and select the one you want.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Teri

PS The only problem I encountered using this was trying to make changes on a different machine and then transferring to the original one...sometimes the "object" would not link or show up correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,150 Views)
To register an ActiveX Server, you need to type in the Command Promt regsrv32 followed by the name of the component. The .ocx or .dll file must be in a specific system folder (I think it was system32). LabView also allows you to link to an unregistered Server using the Browse button and manually selecting the .ocx or .dll file. Some of that also depends on the widows version you use.
I guess you might find a good reading among the stuff MS has on their webpage.

Felix
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,133 Views)