LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Precision Float

@Intaris wrote:
As an FPGA programmer, I am not sure how to feel.... 

Bits are not numbers, but groups of bits can represent numeric values (and anything else if the specifications are known). Similarly, toner powder can represent numbers if fused to a piece of paper in a certain pattern. Lines scratched into a prison cell wall can represent numbers. Audio waves can represent numbers if we listen to the soccer scores on the radio. 😄

Message 11 of 15
(690 Views)

I didn't mean to come across as serious with that. I was joking.

Spoiler

But now that you're answered.....

Nothing is a number. Numbers are abstract concepts. We can assign the meaning of numbers to anything we want, but only a subset of everything makes sense. Even an image of a number is not a number. One reliable data point is that the text representation "NaN" is truly not a number. 😎

Of course others have drawn attention to this mixing up of abstract and concrete objectivity: René Magritte: "This is not a pipe."

Message 12 of 15
(684 Views)

Oh, I did take it as joke, of course. We've met. 😄  (I just took it and ran with it....)

Of course for the forum we should make a version of the Margritte painting containing an image of a diagram and the words "This is not a VI" and link to it whenever somebody attaches pictures instead of VIs.

(I vaguely remember something like that discussed very long ago, but maybe I my memory is faulty)

Message 13 of 15
(676 Views)

The "this is not a VI" image sounds like a good idea....

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(656 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

The "this is not a VI" image sounds like a good idea....

What exactly "is" a VI?  Is it the file on disk that contains the .vi file?  Is it the data set in memory of that .vi file?  Is it merely a pattern of ones and zeros (which is purely abstract)?  We often speak loosely of many things; which sometimes makes it hard for us to speak tightly. 😀

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(646 Views)