LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation model converter: cannont communicate with MATLAB

Hi,

I am trying to convert a Simulink model (.mdl) to a VI labVIEW model by using tha Simulation Model Converter.

The Simulink model contains some parameters (Matlab variables) initialised through a .m script.

The conversion fails and the following error is reported:

ERROR: LabVIEW could not communicate with MATLAB.An installation of MATLAB is required  to use initialization scripts.

I am using MATLAB 2009b and LabVIEW 2010 SP1.

Is it a bug or is there some configuration that I am missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,504 Views)

Hello Tommpogg,

My name is David and I am an Applications Engineer at National Instruments UK.

There versions of MATLAB and LabVIEW that you are using should create no problems as they are compatible with each other. Do you have the error code for the error that occurs? This should speed up the trouble shooting process. Also what is the reason for you converting the Simulink model to LabVIEW? Have you considered using the LabVIEW Simulation Interface toolkit which is designed to create a LabVIEW User-Interface for Simulink models? I have included a link to this for you to have a look at:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3583

I hope this helps and am more than willing to try and help further if you reply with some more details.

Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,496 Views)

Hello David,

Thank you for answering.

First of all, I am a LabWIEW newbie, whereas I have got some experience in Matlab/Simulink.

No error code is returned. The conversion procedure just terminate with a window displaying the error I reported and some more errors related to the fact that the .m script was not run.

Recently, my company has decided to switch to NI technolgy to implement a control loop on a FlexRIO board.

Previously we used Simulink to perform design, simulation and hardware implementation of the control loop.

So now I was trying to port all my stuff to LabWIEW.

The LabVIEW Simulation Interface toolkit seems interesting. How can I launch it? Do I need a special license to use it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,483 Views)

OK, I am trying to use the Simulation Interface toolkit, but I got stuck again.

I cannot find the"NI signal probe" model in Simulink libraries.

Considering the problem I have reported before in this thread, I believe that Matlab was not properly configuredduring the installation of LabVIEW.

Am I right? Is there a way to configure it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,472 Views)

Hi Tommpogg,

The reason that the NI Signal Probe is not showing up in Simulink is most like as you expected, that it was not configured properly during installation.The 'MATLAB Support' option needs to be selected during the installation process. If you check whether or not this is selected then it could well be the solution to your issue. Either way, let me know the outcome.

Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,467 Views)

Thank you David.

is there a way to to check if I have gotn the Matlab support installed?

If not, can I install it without reinstalling LabVIEW?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,461 Views)

Hi Tommpogg,

No problem. If you try to reinstalll LabVIEW your PC should tell you that LabVIEW is already installed so won't install it completely again but you should still get the option to check the 'MATLAB' support option.

I hope this works for you.

Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,458 Views)

Well... I checked all installation DVD and there is no MATLAB support or any other toolbox mentioning MATLAB to install.

I'm quite lost. Is there a way to download it?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,450 Views)

Some updates...

I have found MATLAB support + Simulink Interface Toolkit (SIT) on NI web page, I have downloaded and installed them, but still does not work at all.

For instance, when I open Matlab the message

Starting the SIT Server on port 6011
SIT Server started

is not desplayed (it should be accrodingly to this web page: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3057)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,446 Views)

Sorry for the late reply, I was in a meeting yesterday when you replied. In my opinion the reason that you are not seeing the message that you should is due to the path to the SIT server in MATLAB possibly being wrong. Unfortunately we have very few resources here to help with path specifications on other applications. It could be worth contacting MATLAB technical support as they will know more about this side of things. Also just one last check that you are running MATLAB while trying to do all of this?

Have a nice day.

Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,441 Views)