LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating button presses

Hello all, I hope you can help!

I've got a LabVIEW vi working to communicate with some hardware, so we can set true/false commands using boolean buttons, but now we need to automate it to be left overnight.

How can I simulate button presses? I've tried using a local variable and although it shows the buttons being pressed on the front panel, this isn't actually changing the output from LabVIEW onto the databus, so the hardware isn't actually being commanded.

We need to set it so it basically runs:

Set TRUE for x amount of time

Set FALSE for y amount of time.

How can I do this? A simple example vi would really really help! (If it helps we're running LaBVIEW 2009)

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,584 Views)

Value signaling property node will trigger the event if you have an event based architecture.

Better is to plan for this in the first place, make the event of pressing the button trigger the application to invoke a vi or if you are using a state machine go to the action state.  When in automated overnight mode a timing/scheduling mechanism will trigger a transition to the action state or invoke the action vi.  (I like queued state machine architectures for the flexability of retrofitting the code with new operations such as a scheduled action).

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 2 of 4
(2,575 Views)

This is absolutely not (i think) the best way to do this since I don't have more than 2 months of experience with Labview. Have just been using text-based programming methods. Anyways I made a small vi with a flat sequence structure that does the job, but I'm sorry to tell you I can't say its a good or bad solution.

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,568 Views)

Paul ofered advise similar to what I had in mind.

Kuodes for the planning comment!

if you have trouble implementing Paul's suggestions post your code (all) or images of same so we can tailor our suggestions to your situation.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,566 Views)