LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple xyz coordonate plot of points with specific color and shape, need help!

Hi,

I'm missing something in the way Labview makes a 3D plot.

I have a excel sheet with 5 columns: x,y,x,color, shape (i.e. square, circular, etc..). Each line is a new point. What I want is just to position these points with the right color and shape, no surface or line between point. Origin should at (0,0,0).

Thanks,

Olivier

"Dummy umanum est, perseverare diabolicum."

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,248 Views)

here is my VI and a data file.

Colunm 1-3 are x,y,z

Colunm 4 is the point

Colunm 5 is the color

For some reasons, I get only the last point drawed. Where is my mistake?

Thanks olivier

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,230 Views)

You have the 3D Curve VI inside the loop. Since you are autoindexing the values (x,y,z), it's only plotting one point at a time. I don't understand how one is supposed to intepret different values for the color and shape columns since you have only one plot, and point style and colors apply to the plot, not to individual points.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,226 Views)

I think I wasn't clear. I'm looking to apply a specific shape/color to individual point. Thant's what I cannot figure out.

Olivier

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,210 Views)

I do not think the 3D graphs support a different shape for each point, and for tht matter the shape of the points.

I used a 3D picture to do this.

That illustaes it is possible to dicate the XYZ and color.

Othre shapes are possible but they did not fit with the specs of that project. I did experiment with "skinning" the sphers and that worked as well.

So I suggest trying the 3D picture and skip the 3D graphs.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,208 Views)

BTW:

Using the terms "simple" and "3D" in the same sentance propbably breaks one of the laws of thermodynamics. 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 9
(3,205 Views)

Could you post some sample code for that...please!

Thanks,

Olivier

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,203 Views)

@OD wrote:

Could you post some sample code for that...please!

Thanks,

Olivier

Sorry no can do! (I would be promptly fired for giving away code to anyone other than a current customer and I would like to avoid that for the time being.)

LV ships with 3D picture examples including a Solar System demo which is where I started when developing what I posted above.

Standrad shapes are also included. If you want to get exotic you could even crate your own shapes.

Still trying to help (without getting fired),

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,199 Views)

I understand. Thanks for the tip.

It seems to me something really basic that should be added. I'll try to submit it.

Thanks,

Olivier

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,194 Views)