LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i keep a database connection open?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I am currently working on a project where we have various measuring stations sending data to a central analysis machine. We decided to shift to SQL server as our permanent storage back-end.

The question is this: should the measuring stations maintain a constant connection to the database or should they connect/disconnect as necessary?

Keeping the connection open saves on the ~300ms connection time and with possible multiple consecutive db access this could become a problem. Also if I keep the connection open I have no way of knowing when the station loses connection with the DB until I actually try to interact with it.

So do I keep the connection open with the probable logic overhead of establishing whether the station is connected and reconnecting if necessary or do I simply open and close the connection as needed, obviating the need for testing, but incurring a ~300ms time penalty on each DB operation?

I look forward to your opinions and advice.

Tjoppi 

Message Edited by tjoppi on 02-24-2010 05:20 AM
This represents my opinion and may have no bearing on reality
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,013 Views)

Hi Tjoppi

How often do you access the SQL database? If you write/read every second I would definitely keep the connection open. If you only access the DB every hour I would probably close the connection.

In most cases I would tend to keep the connection open as long as your application runs.

Just my 2c.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,998 Views)

dan_u wrote:

How often do you access the SQL database? 

The DB receives data from multiple connections about every 2 seconds although some of these connections only send data once every 23 seconds. 

This represents my opinion and may have no bearing on reality
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,991 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tjoppi

When sending data every 23 seconds I would keep the DB connection open. As you said, you might have to do error handling when the write task fails due to a broken DB connection.

Message 4 of 5
(5,988 Views)

keep Connection Open.png

Great!!! found that i can save some 300 - 800ms if i keep the connection open.

Kudos always welcome for helpful posts 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,005 Views)