LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Variables not found in Distributed Systems Manager

Hi all,

I cannot find my shared variables in distributed system manager even after deploying them. The shared variable engine error also appears if I try to access them inside VI.  I have already tried un deploying and deploying, restarting LabVIEW and my machine. Any helps would be much appreciated. Please find below two screenshots for your reference. 

Expand option is availableExpand option is availableClicking on the expand option would give me nothingClicking on the expand option would give me nothing

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,793 Views)

Hello Kevinks,

What happens when you run your application that is using the shared variables and then refresh the DSM?

The Shared Variable Engine can be finicky from my experience. It also looks like you are creating/using shared variables on your local computer rather than an RT target. I think that might affect how they are displayed in the DSM. As a test, you can create a simple VI that writes a random number or value to one of your shared variables every 500ms. While this VI is running, check the DSM by either closing and restarting it or pressing "refresh" within the DSM. 

Let us know how that goes. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,753 Views)

In DSM, if you go to Actions -> Stop Local Shared Variable Engine, wait ~5 seconds, then start the variable engine again, and then redeploy the variables do they show up? You might have to hit F5 in DSM to refresh the listing after deployment.

Can you create variables from within DSM? Do this by right-clicking localhost -> Add Process, give it a name, then right-click the new process and Add Variable.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,746 Views)

@jhoehner wrote:

Hello Kevinks,

What happens when you run your application that is using the shared variables and then refresh the DSM?

The application crashes with Shared variables not found error 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,727 Views)

@MichaelBalzer wrote:

In DSM, if you go to Actions -> Stop Local Shared Variable Engine, wait ~5 seconds, then start the variable engine again, and then redeploy the variables do they show up? You might have to hit F5 in DSM to refresh the listing after deployment.

Nope.. This had no effect

@MichaelBalzer wrote:

Can you create variables from within DSM? Do this by right-clicking localhost -> Add Process, give it a name, then right-click the new process and Add Variable.

This worked, though a refresh would return DSM back to the previous state with nothing inside the localhost drop down. I am doubting that the DSM is corrupt. Will reinstall labview and let you guys know

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,726 Views)