From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting ring text in a cluster

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cluster that has several ring text controls in it and I want to programmatically set the text of each of the rings.  Up until now I was creating property nodes for each of the ring controls and setting the string values for each with an array (see attached code).  This works fine for a few controls.  The one I want to use in my code has seven rings; the property nodes alone are eating up a ton of screen space in the block diagram.  I'd like to pass a reference to the cluster to a sub-VI and populate the text of all of the rings there.  However, I can't seem to get access to the property nodes of the individual ring controls in the sub-VI.  (attached code as an example of this as well).

Is there a way to get access to the ring text properties via a cluster reference?

A little background: My real ring controls are labeled "Tag Name", "Time Stamp", "File Name", etc. Each ring contains a list of items that are synchronized to the other rings.  If a user selects item 3 in the "Tag Name" ring, then item 3 in the other rings will also be shown.  Everything stays in sync on the display.  I looked at using a 2D array but I want the user to be able to click on the list and select items -- exactly what the ring control allows.

Thanks-

-dennis.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,005 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dwj314

Convert the control reference to a more specific class.  In this case a Ring class.

This will work as long as all the controls in that cluster are rings you want to set the values for.  If you have other elements in that cluster, you would have to iterate through them and see if they are one of the rings you want to work with.

Message 2 of 2
(3,988 Views)