cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial port not working on installed machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Folks.

I have developed a labview program which reads from the serial port. It works fine on my development machine but when I install it on a different machine it will not work. I have tried various installations. Both the automatically selected installallers and by checking the NI-VISA Runtime 15.0. I can also see the VISA Shared components 5.6.0 (64-bit) in installed programs. Do I need to add any additional drivers or anything.

I would of assumed that the automatically selected installers would select everything required. I am blind as to what the problem is.

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,301 Views)

You are right in thinking that the automatic installers should do the trick. There must be something wonky with your code, or a resource alias.

Do you have an alias set up on your development environment for your device that has not been mirrored to the target computer? You can generate a configuration file from MAX if you want and include that with the installer as well.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,298 Views)

What exactly do you mean by alias and how is it mirrored.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,292 Views)

Does the serial port show up in Device Manager and/or NI MAX? Have you installed the manufacturer's device drivers for the serial port? 

You mention 64-bit....is your application built in LV 32-bit or 64-bit?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,291 Views)

@MarkGreally wrote:

What exactly do you mean by alias and how is it mirrored.

You should troubleshoot with MAX (installs with LabVIEW and can be included with your custom installer). This will allow you to test device communication and is a very strong tool. You can use it to assign aliases to your devices to make the names more user-friendly. MAX = Measurement and Automation Explorer

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,285 Views)

The port does show up in device manager. I can read it using teraterm so its not a hardware problem. My application is built in LV 32-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,283 Views)
The important place to look is in MAX. If it's not shown there, LabVIEW will never see it. It's also important to see how it's enumerated in MAX. The alias will be a name such as ComN. The canonical name will be ASRLn::INSTR. How does your program select the correct port?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,273 Views)

I have set up my program so that the correct serial port is selected by the user and corresponds to what shows in device manager. In the attached VI  the 'Serial Port In' is the one I am referring to. Is there a better way to do this?

Everything can be seen by Labview on my dev machine and is fine. How does MAX help me select the devices??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,256 Views)

I should add that MAX on the target machine can see all the devices connected.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,249 Views)
MAX helps you configure and troubleshoot the com ports. Why don't you post an image of MAX. What can be seen on your development machine is not really relevant since that is working. And device manager is irrelevant.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,246 Views)