LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication error -1073807360. What caused it ?

Hi All,

I got error -1073807360 from serial communication. The error code desription says:  Unknown system error (miscellaneous error).  I am just wondering

what caused that error? Anyone see it before?

Thanks a lot for help.

Anne Zuo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(19,956 Views)

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your post.  I found a KnowledgeBase article that talks about this error.  This might be an issue with Windows not recognizing your stop bits.  What instrument are you using?  There is another KnowledgeBase article that deals with this issue when using Tektronix Instruments.  Let me know if these help you!

Regards,

Todd V. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(19,932 Views)

Hi Todd,

Sorry, it doesn't help that much.  

We are using a USB adapter to communicate with PIC, not any instrument, and we didn't use stop bits.  Any other idea?

Thank you anyway.

Anne Zuo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(19,921 Views)

Hi Anne!

Thanks for your quick response.  I have a few more questions for you.  Did you build your own VI or are you using an example program?  Could you please attach a screen shot of your block diagram and front panel so I can take a look at them?  Also, please perform an NI-Spy capture so I can see where your system is hanging.  If you need help performing the NI-Spy capture, please refer to this KnowledgeBase article.  Have a great day, Anne!

Regards,

Todd V. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(19,916 Views)

Sorry for getting back late.

The error is not very repeatable.  We leave the system run day and night, some time it catches the error, but more likely the communication

just gets stuck, looking like the labview code doesn't recieve any data from PIC. But we are sure the PIC is sending data because just disable and enable the serial port will fix the problem.

I attach the screenshots, and hope you can give me some idea.

Thank you.

Anne

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(19,877 Views)

Hello Anne,

From your VI, it seems you are using serial communication, not USB. My guess is that you are using a USB to Serial adapter and that you are using the UART on the PIC.  Are you using a NI-USB-232?

Do you know where this error occurs in your code?  Are you configuring the serial port inside a loop?  

There is a possibility there is something going on in you hardware causing this error.  Although it may be hard to catch the error with NI-SPY, I think it would provide much more information about the cause.

Have a great day.

O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
Message 6 of 14
(19,846 Views)

Hi -

I'm having very similar problems with this error and I am using several USB to serial adapters. We are not using the NI-USB-232. 

I suspect the error occurs in different places where I do VISA reads on a serial port. However, it is rarely in the same place and the problem is very intermittent.I wouldn't be surprised if something in the hardware is causing this problem. I am not familiar with NI-SPY. How can it help me get more information about the cause of this error? What is an ideal set up to catch an intermittent error with NI-SPY?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(19,448 Views)

This is a common complaint with USB in Windows XP/ Vista.  It seems that the device manager sometimes just hangs up on a USB port.  Often this is due to power management of the USB ports.  Either faulty (or too many) devices or noise on the USB power line tends to cause the power manager function to disconnect the resource.  You VISA session or DAQmx task then reports an error because the OS has temporarilly removed access to it just as if you went and unplugged it and plugged it back in.

The only work around appears to be to detect the error and attempt to reset the device (with DAQmx you need to reset twice unless that CAR is closed? NI?) Still, It would be nice if theOS P&P device connection / disconnect events were visable in LabVIEW so our apps can act on the events.

The issue can be mitigated by investing in high quality, self powered, USB ports and hubs with plenty of spare power capacity.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 8 of 14
(19,407 Views)

I'm seeing the same error message (-1073807360) with one of my programs, however, I'm only seeing it when I use the PC's COM port (COM1).  If I plug in a USB to RS232 adapter the program works fine.  The program also works fine on most PCs I try.  I just have two systems that exhibit this problem.  Any help would be much appreciated!

David

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(19,265 Views)

Just an update to this...

We found a virus on the computer that is being used with the USB to Serial adapters that *may* have been causing problems with USB. After removing that virus things seem to be a lot better. If you get this error with similar devices don't discount you might have some virus causing your problem.

Message 10 of 14
(19,170 Views)