LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Independent Read write

I'm writing a vi for communicating to a device that occasionally sends an update command to the computer. I've created a similar vi for debugging purposes to share (for advice/input below).

The requirements are as such:

1) After being initialized, the computer must listen to the device unless it is writing. (So that it can hear "!UPDATE!\n" [part 3])

2) The user interface will send commands to the device and wait for the device to send back a set of data with "!PRINT!\n" at the end. After "!PRINT!\n" is received, the center loop processes the data, and either writes a new request to the device or sends the data to the front panel.

3) Occasionally, the device will print "!UPDATE!\n" to verify that there is still a connection. If the computer receives "!UPDATE!\n," it needs to print back "!UPDATE!\n."

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,376 Views)

WOW you sure over complicated that. What are all the Semaphores doing? None of this makes sense.

Unless I am misunderstanding something I would:

1. Initialize the serial port
  2. VISA Read in a loop until timeout or data received
  3. Process the data received and Write a response back to the instrument if needed
  4. Also break out of the Read loop to send a command.

This sounds like a State Machine to me not a Producer Consumer architecture.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,366 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

WOW you sure over complicated that. What are all the Semaphores doing? None of this makes sense.

Unless I am misunderstanding something I would:

1. Initialize the serial port
  2. VISA Read in a loop until timeout or data received
  3. Process the data received and Write a response back to the instrument if needed
  4. Also break out of the Read loop to send a command.

This sounds like a State Machine to me not a Producer Consumer architecture.

Duah! Thank you, I am dumb

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,310 Views)