LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending and receiving data through internet

Hi everyone,

I have cRIO 9031 and some NI modules such as NI 9234, 9236, NI 9201,...

I want to send collected real-time data from this cRIO to other city for a monitoring task by the internet.

I only know one method using mqtt cloud.

Can I use UDP or TCP for this task??.

AND other solutions?

Any contribution is highly appropriated

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,095 Views)

Hi ductuan,

as long as there is a direct connection possible (no blocking firewalls, etc.) you can use any kind of network communication…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 8
(3,050 Views)

Thank you

I have used TCP communication for transmitting collected data by the internet and I used external IP, the problem was timeout.

As I know that UDP communication is not believable for the quality of signal.

Could you give me a solution in more detail if I use UDP or TCP.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,046 Views)

Hi ductuan,

I have used TCP communication for transmitting collected data by the internet and I used external IP, the problem was timeout.

Most often you cannot directly communicate by TCP: your devices/computers use local IP addresses, but are connected to the WWW (world wide web) using a router which translates local addresses (LAN) to global addresses (WAN). So you cannot call a local IP address from a different subnet that your own…

I want to send collected real-time data from this cRIO to other city for a monitoring task by the internet.

I only know one method using mqtt cloud.

Can I use UDP or TCP for this task??.

Can you provide more information about your desired TCP/UDP communication?

Which IP addresses do you use?

MQTT also uses TCP under the hood, so yes, you can use TCP/UDP…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 8
(3,038 Views)

Dear GerdW,

I tried to use simple TCP project with Client.vi and Server.vi

I used global addresses (WAN) for 2 computers and these addresses can be found on https://ping.eu/

I specified IP adresss of localhost to client.vi and run both server.vi and Client.vi. This can help me to send and receiver signal

I need a program that can send data over time and I can receiver this signal whenever I want. Can I use UDP communication?

I have to set up this measurement system next month, so I really need your help

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,024 Views)

If you are worried about timeout and basic UDP functionality, I would test a simple UDP LabVIEW program first

I would recommend trying out some of the LabVIEW help examples.

The "Simple UDP.lvproj" is pretty easy to set up and test. Should give you a good idea of UDP performance between your two PCs and should give you a better idea if thats the way you want to go for your cRIO communications

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,991 Views)

To avoid any complication when communicating trough internet, timeout is one thing, the other is the routing and security.

To run different system like if they where local, use a VPN. You might cut the speed, but you have a huge gain in stability.

Benoit

Message 7 of 8
(2,982 Views)

Dear,

Thank you for your solution

I am testing this solution. I hope that it will be suitable for my measurement system.

Reagard,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,976 Views)