From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling application

Hello,

I would like to understand if it is possible to sell to a person a LabVIEW application that I have made. I'm reading a lot of posts which suggest to read many different documents, but I didn't find a complet answer about it. Can someone explain it here with few words? Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,996 Views)

The answer to the question is Yes.  You can sell an application you made in LabVIEW.

But because I am not a lawyer I can't say the specifics of what you need to do.  JKI's VIPM is a great example of a company that makes software, and has a free, and a paid version, using LabVIEW, and several open source software packages like OpenG.  You just need to make sure you abide by all the EULA, and licensing agreements for all the technologies you use.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,984 Views)

@simo28 wrote:

I would like to understand if it is possible to sell to a person a LabVIEW application that I have made.

You need to be much more specific. Was that application developed on your own time with your own copy of the LabVIEW prefessional development system and not with e.g. LabVIEW home or student edition or evaluation version?.

If you developed the application with resources (LabVIEW license, etc) from your company or university, you need to talk to them because they get a cut.

Are you planning of commercially developing software for sale? Make sure you talk to a business and tax advisor and such.

Did you develop the software for them according to their specification? In this case, a contract should already be in place.

Message 3 of 15
(3,977 Views)

From what I understand in general if you are using your own legally purchased and licenced copy of LabVIEW, but NOT the Home and Student Edition. You can sell anything you develop and you can even include the LabVIEW runtime and other requirements like NI-VISA in your distribution but you can not charge extra for including them.

If this was not done on your own time using your own LabVIEW development licence then you need to pay close attention to altenbach's post above.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,947 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

The answer to the question is Yes.  You can sell an application you made in LabVIEW.

But because I am not a lawyer I can't say the specifics of what you need to do.  JKI's VIPM is a great example of a company that makes software, and has a free, and a paid version, using LabVIEW, and several open source software packages like OpenG.  You just need to make sure you abide by all the EULA, and licensing agreements for all the technologies you use.

Thank you Hooovahh. I will check the EULA and licensing agreements.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,919 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@simo28 wrote:

I would like to understand if it is possible to sell to a person a LabVIEW application that I have made.

You need to be much more specific. Was that application developed on your own time with your own copy of the LabVIEW prefessional development system and not with e.g. LabVIEW home or student edition or evaluation version?.

If you developed the application with resources (LabVIEW license, etc) from your company or university, you need to talk to them because they get a cut.

Are you planning of commercially developing software for sale? Make sure you talk to a business and tax advisor and such.

Did you develop the software for them according to their specification? In this case, a contract should already be in place.

Thank you altenbach, I will be more specific.

I haven't started with developing the application yet. For now I will make the application for the University research group. The University has a valid copy of LabVIEW professional development system. I will use my own time working with their own copy of LabVIEW on their pc. I would like to include my name in the application's VI, for show who made it.

What do you mean with "they get a cut"?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,911 Views)

@simo28 wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@simo28 wrote:

I haven't started with developing the application yet. For now I will make the application for the University research group. The University has a valid copy of LabVIEW professional development system. I will use my own time working with their own copy of LabVIEW on their pc. I would like to include my name in the application's VI, for show who made it.

Because you are using their LabVIEW licence so technically any program develop using that licence belongs to the university, not you.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,905 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

From what I understand in general if you are using your own legally purchased and licenced copy of LabVIEW, but NOT the Home and Student Edition. You can sell anything you develop and you can even include the LabVIEW runtime and other requirements like NI-VISA in your distribution but you can not charge extra for including them.

If this was not done on your own time using your own LabVIEW development licence then you need to pay close attention to altenbach's post above.

Thank you RTSLVU,

I will use the LabVIEW professional dev. of the University to develop an application for the University research group. (*I'm not a student anymore).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,903 Views)

@simo28 wrote:

If the university paid for the LabVIEW license they probably have a right to whatever you develop with it.

It seems to me like you should not be selling an application but they should hire you as a contractor to write software for them. You should be paid for the work, not for the final product.

Message 9 of 15
(3,901 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@simo28 wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@simo28 wrote:

Because you are using their LabVIEW licence so technically any program develop using that licence belongs to the university, not you.

Ok, so it's more about getting paid for the time I use in this case, right?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,896 Views)