From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale charts in arrays of clusters independently

When having an array of clusters, with a chart in each cluster, I never succeeded to control the x and y-scale of each such chart.

When setting the y-axis of any chart in the array to autoscale, all charts scale identically, suggesting that LabVIEW does not expose the x-axis and y-axis of each arrayelement so I can't control it.

Would be extremely grateful if anyone knows a solution.

I have attached an example of such array.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,687 Views)

When having an array of clusters, with a chart in each cluster, I never succeeded to control the x and y-scale of each such chart.

When setting the y-axis of any chart in the array to autoscale, all charts scale identically, suggesting that LabVIEW does not expose the x-axis and y-axis of each arrayelement so I can't control it.

I have attached an example of such array.

Apologies for this repeat, I posted this twice under a slightly different name and I cannot delete the other message.

mentions the same issue, and again suggests individual scaling cannot be done. Quite disappointing. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,645 Views)

Elements of an array can only differ in data, not in properties. Axis scaling is a property shared by all elements.

@Peter_Vijn2 wrote:

What are you trying to "solve"? You could e.g. normalize all graphs, hide the axes, and add properly placed numerics to show the original range limits. You could do a cluster of graphs. You could also draw everything from scratch into an array of 2D pictures.

@Peter_Vijn2 wrote:

... with a chart in each cluster,...

These are graphs, not charts. Do you know the difference?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,682 Views)

Please keep it all in one place.

You can notify the moderator to have the subject changed and the duplicate thread deleted.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,632 Views)

This link shows the same problem. Quite disappointing that we can't control the properties of each array element.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,668 Views)

Thanks, I know the difference. Thats not what I tried to address here, the same problem applies to charts and graphs: we can't control the properties of array elements. That's a setback.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,665 Views)

Plotting charts to images and displaying these would sort it indeed, but then the plots are no longer interactive. Your normalization trick would work but it is silly to overlay with numeric indicators or controls to display the scales.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,662 Views)

I gave you a couple of possible solutions. It is not reasonable to expect that array elements can differ in properties.

Imagine you had an U8 array of a few hundred million elements. Would you really want each element to carry a large multiple of extra property information (font style, background color, display format, for each element?). The fact that only the data is carried for each element is exactly the reasons array operations are so efficient. That's a good thing! 😄

Can you explain what you are trying to do, exactly?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,659 Views)

OK, good point. and only happy to respond.

I am coding a data management application to be used in drug screening, basically biological experiments on 2 dimensional plates.

Each experimental well on such plate generates e.g. time-activity data and should be plotted as a XY-graph preferably with its own scale controls, especially because the experimental conditions per row and column typically vary. The number of rows and colums on each plate can vary as well, so fixed charts plotted in a grid are not an option.

Hope this is a bit clearer now. I can be more specific if that would help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,650 Views)

While I can not offer a ready solution I can offer a solution that I was able to deliver that could help. Not rivial but if it is importtant then...

As Christian stated, array elements can differ onl yin value and the data type and property are shared between all elements of an array. That is not the case for clusters.

In my case I developed what I called "Disimilar Array" using a cluster as the container for a scroll bar and a fixed number of sub-panels. Since I can put any front panel in a sub-panel I was able to present what looked like an array of different front panels. The scroll bar slid the sub-panels up and down. When a sub-panel scrooled out of sight (up or down) I removed the FP that was in it, inserted the next FP that would be coming into view and positioned that sub-panel just out of sight (top or bottom) depending on the scroll direction.

So it can be done!

Is it worth the effort to implement?

It depends on your budget at the very least.

Ben  

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,630 Views)