LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save for previous failed for some unspecified reason

I'm trying to convert a project from LabVIEW 2015 to 2011 and this message pops up. How does one even begin trying to figure this out?

Full message text:

"LabVIEW: File permission error. You do not have the correct permissions for the file.

Save for previous failed for some unspecified reason. Memory could be full or the disk access may not be allowed."

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,287 Views)

Try logging in as admin.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,273 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already tried this and the outcome is still the same. This one has me a little baffled.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,247 Views)

Show VI Hierarchy

Select Show full path in VI label

Float over the VIs (starting from the bottom) and figure out where all of the called VIs are located.

Also switch the "File View" in the Project.

Look at all of the files and what is being used in the project.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,235 Views)

Alternatively, try run LabVIEW as admin (right-click...run as administrator). Just because you have admin privileges, does not mean LabVIEW has too. 😉

Also check that the resulting paths are not too deep. Maybe save to a shallower location.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,231 Views)

I appreciate the info, guys. I have tried running as administrator (specifically through the context menu) and saving to a shallower directory (all the way down to the C drive). No change.

What can be done with the directory information in the files tab? I'm inclined to go to properties for every directory and uncheck "read only" but that seems pretty reckless.

By the way, I misspoke earlier: It was LabVIEW 2017, not 2015.

Capture.PNG

One final note in case this might have any bearing on a potential solution: I am trying to downgrade from 2017 to 2011 only because I accidentally upgraded from 2011 to 2017 and overwrite my backup before realizing my error.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,182 Views)

Divide and conquer my help.

Start whacking away at what is used in the project until you get it to back-save.

I asked about file view because of things like third party drivers that are installed in User.lib If those drivers are password protected, it could be the source of you challenge.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,174 Views)

@B_Strange wrote:

One final note in case this might have any bearing on a potential solution: I am trying to downgrade from 2017 to 2011 only because I accidentally upgraded from 2011 to 2017 and overwrite my backup before realizing my error.

Too late and not helpful now, but... Git checkout?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,162 Views)

Have you tried saving to another drive, like a USB flash drive?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,148 Views)

I really thought the external drive solution would work. I wonder what it could possibly be trying to change locally. Guess I'll start going through dependencies one by one.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,138 Views)