LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save for Previous version vs Using Older LabVIEW versions

We (as LabVIEW programmers, in general) have to work on projects that were created using older versions of LabVIEW and they (the projects in older versions that are to remain in older version) have to be maintained in those versions as the client maybe still be using older LabVIEW version. So which is better solution for code modification/upgrading;

1- Use the same older version of LabVIEW for code in that version of LabVIEW (that is maintaining several versions of LabVIEW development environment on the development systems)

2- Use the latest version of LabVIEW only, code in that version and save the project for previous versions, as and when required.

I want to use method number 2. Under what possible scenarios could it cause problems for projects when they are sent to clients who would use those projects on/with older LabVIEW versions. I mean what could be the caveats for using approach number 2. Please also add anything relevant/important that has not been asked in the post but would be relevant under the above scenario.

Thanks!

A very pleasant day to you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,094 Views)

Hi C.,

reason against scenario 2: It's not only the LabVIEW versions it's also the driver versions (DAQmx...) that have to be compatible! E.g. there is no DAQmx driver that supports LV7 and LV2012 both. Depending on LV/DAQmx version you will have to maintain even several computers with different LV versions each to support (very) old projects for your customers!

Next point:

How do you want to test your software? Best would be to setup a system similar to your customers PC: same LV version, same driver versions. Either use separate PCs or some VM solutions...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,084 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

supports LV7 and LV2012 both. 

Well you can't backsave that far anyway. But I fully agree. I think I would never trust backsaved code enough to deliver it to a client.

When not using PCI based hardware using VMs for the different versions works very well for me.

Message 3 of 3
(2,065 Views)