From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Error code 44

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am using labview 13.0 and I'm trying to save my project in another location using "Save As->Duplicate .lvproj file and contents" with all dependencies.  I select a location on my computer and it starts running. After it has run through a few files, I get the following error:

Labview: Generic file I/O Error

Cannot save class "setMaximumHeaterPowerMessage.lvclass"

Labview save error code 44: could not move temporary file to destination.

I press OK and it asks me to select an "Emergency Backup Destination for "setMaximumHeaterPowerMessage.lvclass" I do so and then get:

Labview: Generic file I/O Error

Cannot save class "setMaximumHeaterPowerMessage.lvclass"

I press OK and the saving process stops.

Googling the problem only led to a couple articles talking about virtualbox, which I am not using. I have enough space on my hard drive.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,350 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Astro23

Believe it or not but, it was because the path names of some files were too long

Message 2 of 6
(6,336 Views)

What is the longest filename that is acceptable?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,712 Views)

I don't know exactly where I saw this in order to confirm, but I remember it being 255 or 256 total characters in the file path.

I start all my projects in a subdirectory on the c:\ drive.  Going to the Microsoft recommended location of your My Documents adds about 20-30 extra characters bec ause of the \users\username\documents being plugged in depending on how long your username is.  And LV classes tend to have long names and get extended out, so I'm not surprised that an error would occur within a class file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,708 Views)

So...... I am hearing that when saving a VI on a network drive the folder characters count as length that can cause an "Error 44" ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,700 Views)

Not sure, but I think it is very likely.

One thing I can tell you is that you are probably better off not working from a network drive.  Many people have posted messages about different problems when they've used network drives as their working directories.   And all those problems seem to go away when they move their project to a local drive.

I don't know if this could be a problem, but often a network drive is mapped as a simple letter such as G:\.   But in reality that location might be to subdirectory on a network drive.  And factor in the network name of the fileserver and drive, and possibly a domain name and container names.  Something as simple as G:\ could map out to 30, 40, 50 additional characters.  Sometimes I'll see that  in other programs or even Windows explorer as they jump between drive letter names and active directory naming schemes.

Which scheme LabVIEW uses when doing the application building, I don't know.  But it wouldn't surprise me that using the network drive is adding even more characters to the path than you even imagined.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,697 Views)