LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYSTEM EXEC.VI access to database documentation

Hello,

Can any one tell me what this function is for and how to use it?

NI's documentation seems very poor. 

Soren1974_0-1612565109822.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(704 Views)

That’s when you enable datalogging through the right click menu on a VI. If’s an obscure, almost never used feature from the beginning days of LabVIEW when it had no single step execution highlighting and breakpoints for easy debugging of a program.

It basically generates a binary datalog file next to the VI where it logs all front panel controls every time the VI is called/executed. Later you can select replay from the right click menu an go one for one through every data set, review the data in the front panel controls and try to determine from them where your VI did what.

Better than nothing but syntax highlighting, single stepping, breakpoints and wire probes together are a million times more efficient for debugging your program.

And for real logging, writing your own logging routine that stores whatever you are interested in at the times you want, where you want and how you want isn’t that much more work but much more useful for review later on.

I used it a few times in the beginnings almost 30 years ago, more for curiosity than anything else but haven’t looked at it for about 25 years since and never missed it. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(656 Views)