LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Send Email VI Works for Email Recipients but not Phone Number Recipients

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to use the SMTP "Send Email" VI to send messages to both email addresses (e.g. john.doe@gmail.com) and phone numbers (e.g. 0123456789@pm.sprint.com). It works fine for email addresses, but when I use it for a phone number, the phone does not receive the message.

A few notes for troubleshooting:

• I don't get any LabVIEW error messages.
  • I'm using the secure connection option (i.e. TLS is enabled).
  • I'm sending from my work email, which requires log-in. But this seems to work fine, since the VI successfully sends emails to other email addresses.
  • After running the VI, when I look at my "sent" messages in my email application, it shows that it did send the message to the recipients (including the phone number with the @pm.sprint.com ending).
  • I tried sending an email to the phone number (with the @pm.sprint.com ending) straight from my email application, and the phone successfully received the message. So it works from my email application, but not the LabVIEW VI.
  • Again, the VI works when my recipient address is an email, but it doesn't work when my recipient address is a phone number.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,354 Views)

most mobile phone are smartphohnes and therefore should have an e-mail client,

but the following would annoy me too:

@jrdwight wrote:
  • I tried sending an email to the phone number (with the @pm.sprint.com ending) straight from my email application, and the phone successfully received the message. So it works from my email application, but not the LabVIEW VI.

So it is probably  not an issue of the mobile carrier's SMS gateway

you probably use ASCII plain-text

160 characters?

What's your email application? (Outlook? Thunderbird?)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,327 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jrdwight

I have no problem sending text messages to <10digitphone#>@txt.att.net (though I haven't tried with other carriers, turns out my intended recipients are all on att).  Indeed, I have a list of recipients, some as <phonenumber>@<carrier.address> and some as <e-mail-box>@<e-mail-receiver>, all the messages go to all the recipients.  It's probably not NI's problem ...

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 6
(2,317 Views)

Yes, I'm using ASCII plain text. My email client is Outlook 365.

Just tried it with a Verizon phone and it worked fine. Must be some sort of phone/carrier setting unique to me...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,302 Views)

Maybe it's a spam filter catching it? If the LabVIEW program sets up the email header differently from your email client, the recipient may see it as you trying to spoof an email address and send it to the junk mail filter.

Message 5 of 6
(2,295 Views)

@jrdwight wrote:

Yes, I'm using ASCII plain text. My email client is Outlook 365.

Just tried it with a Verizon phone and it worked fine. Must be some sort of phone/carrier setting unique to me...

mark Bob's answear as solution!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,251 Views)