LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCXI 1001 is not appeared or added to the system (Win.10, 64bit, Labview 2019)

I have recently formatted lab computer and tried to install labview like always,

However, the SCXI-1001 that I am using is not appearing in the system,

Even worse, I cannot add it manually - adding new SXCI in MAX is gone! 

PCI card : 6281

forced to download labview 2019, previously using labview 2017, which cannot be downloaded.

what should I do? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,633 Views)

First try the 32 bit version of LV but if that fails...

SCXI is now obsolete...

Find the download for 2017?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 5
(2,599 Views)

Thanks Ben, 

Sadly, 32 bit version not worked,

just right before I try to return(?) 32bit OS, found 2017 version in a twin computer. 

And he, SCXI-1001 is working now, and have to work 10 or more years- just don't make him retire so soon.... 

He is the newest device that we have...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,581 Views)

[For whom having the same trouble with me]

The problem solved with 2017 Labview, is now working fine.

Still, you have to manually find and add SCXI in MAX system. (Creat new device, and click the SCXI, which is no longer present in the newest version...) 

Fortunately, SCXI still can read it's modules.

It seems support for the SCXI is shutting down one by one these days. 

and is quite sad that it is hard to find a proper low-budget, middle to high performance, multi-purpose system lineup in NI product anymore. (you have to abandon one of those three, budget, performance, and purpose)

Good luck to you guys~

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,394 Views)

There is one extra pitfal with your testsystem. NI does not sell SCXI hardware anymore. They discontinued that recently and unless you find some stock elsewhere for (refurbished) parts you better be very very careful about keeping that hardware in a good state.

If you really want to keep this system running for at least another 10 years it may be a very good idea to do a serious spare parts analysis and to purchase SCXI components and other items like the computer with a preformatted and imaged harddisk on the refurbished market now or you may end up tomorrow with a non working test system due to a defective component.

It may feel bad but SCXI is 25 years old and the semiconductor manufacturers do not care if you would like to keep using SCXI hardware and discontinue chips manufacturing all the time. That makes production of such hardware a more and more expensive exercise after a while as you either need to do a final end of life purchase of parts for however long you want to be able to produce the parts or you need to find other second source manufacturers and requalify each time that their parts are indeed functionally the same. Just because it uses the same typenumber doesn’t mean that it is working reliably in your design.

That’s the reality of hardware manufacturing. The only other choice is a partial or complete redesign to use new components to squeeze out another 5 to maximum 10 years but this hardware while enabling NI 25 years ago to sell their DAQ hardware has already long been not Ni’s cash cow anymore but more a service to existing customers, so expensive redesigns are not an interesting option.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,382 Views)