LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime License Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a laptop with the LabVIEW Runtime environment (LabVIEW 2017) installed that runs an older version of an executable correctly.  I updated the executable to include necessary changes and it runs correctly as a .VI and as an .EXE when installed on other computers.  When I try to run the .exe on the problem laptop it comes back with an error Runtime error to install newer runtime.  Installing the latest runtime doesn't help on this laptop; it has the same error.

I think this may have something to do with when I attempted to update the Runtime the first time I accidently chose the complete environment option.  I've tried to uninstall the full LabVIEW and also tried re-installing the Runtime without any help.  Finally, I attempted a Windows re-install without re-formatting the drive.  That didn't work either.  My conclusion is there must be something in the registry that allows older executables to run; but, not newer executables.  My next step is to reformat the hard drive and completely re-install software.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this without completely reformatting the drive?

Thanks,

J!D2007 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,873 Views)

What exactly do you mean by "updated the executable"?

Make changes, but kept it in the same version of LabVIEW you originally used?

Made changes in a newer version of LabVIEW?

PC's can have multiple versions of the run-time engine simultaneously.  So for working computers, the version you need might already be installed, and for non-working computers, the version has not been installed.

When you created your new executable, did you also create an installer?

If not, I would do that and run the installer.  That way it will run the executable, and also install the run-time engine needed if it hadn't already been installed.  If the needed version is there, then it will skip installing it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,856 Views)

I updated the executable by removing some functions and creating new ones.  I was using the same version of LabVIEW (2017).  I'll try to create an installer to try that on the Laptop tomorrow.  I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks,

J!D2007

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,763 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author J!D2007

I must have done something wrong creating the installer.  It didn't seem to work.  However, I loaded the latest Runtime (2020) and the program runs now.  

Thanks for your help!

J!D2007

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,739 Views)