From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running the G server and labview web server as a stand-alone serve

Hello,
 Now I am running the G web server from the Internet toolkit cooprating with the Labview default web server because I need the server to handle both GCI reguests and the requests of the remote panel.
 Now I have a question. Is there any way to make these two servers as stand-alone applications and also make it to be window service ( I think if I could make them the stand-alone applications, making them to be window services would be easy)? I just want the web server to be a stand-alone application without installing the Labview (just installing the run-time engine) on one machine. Could this be done? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Benjamin Chu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,889 Views)
Hello Benjamin,

for running a LabVIEW application as Windows Service is here a tutorial.

I formerly tried to get the G web Server into an application and I know there were some dynamic VIs loaded by the HTTP Server Control.vi and some SubVIs. I never tried this seriously enough to get it running.

You need at least to put the VIs vi.lib\addons\internet\http\http0.llb\HTTP Server, vi.lib\addons\internet\http\http0.llb\srvr_%02d.vi (%02d is part of a format into string with a for loop index), HTTP Load Configuration Files.vi as dynamic VIs into your build definition.

Running the G Web Server and looking at the VI hierarchy is not for help because for some reasons the G Web Server VIs will not show up in the VI hierarchy window.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,863 Views)
Benjamin,

The link that Waldemar provided is a great resource for creating a Windows service.  Additionally, you can create these two servers into standalone applications.  Check out the following KB: 2WOEELEG - This should help provide some insight on how to create the EXE w/CGI.  I know the document is a bit old, but it should still assist with getting this up and running.  Let me know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to dig in a little deeper with you if you have any bumps along the way.
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,856 Views)
Hello,
 Thanks for the information. I am reading these documents and try to make it work.
Thanks again.

Benjamin Chu
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,833 Views)
Hello,
 Just want to make sure of something. Except using the GCI script, is there other way to use remote panel on the client side without installing the run-time engine? If we want to use remote panel on one machine, we have to install the run-time engine on that machine. Am I right? Thank you very much.

Benjamin Chu
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,816 Views)
Benjamin,

You are correct.  In order to use remote panel on a machine, that machine will need the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine (RTE).  If you want to just 'view' the front panel, but not control it, you would not need the RTE.  Here is a KB that has a table showing what is required for each of the configurations.
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,805 Views)
Jared,
 Thank you for the reply. I just read the article and tried the static image options (both sanp and monitor option). I have another question. The panel of  my VI is very big and the web publishing tool can't capture the whole image of the panel. Is there any way to capture the image of the whole panel instead of just the part shown on the screen? Thanks for the help.

Benjamin Chu
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,795 Views)
Benjamin,

Have you tried to change the HTML code generated by the Web Publishing Tool?  Look for a line similar to the following:

var obj = '<OBJECT ID="LabVIEWControl" CLASSID="CLSID:A40B0AD4-B50E-4E58-8A1D-8544233807AD" WIDTH=1200 HEIGHT=1000

Try adjusting the Width and Height options with this.  Does that help with the issue or is it something else?
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,772 Views)