From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running VIs developed on a 32-bit LV PC on a PC with 64-bit LV

@Mike-ANL wrote:

@billko wrote:

Curious why you can't install LV 64-bit at home as well?  LV 32-bit can exist quite happily alongside LV 64-bit.  Just make sure you re-install all needed drivers so they can become aware of the new LV.

I can install whatever I like at home.  I have 32-bit LV 2019 there now as the LV documentation somewhere seemed to encourage 32-bit unless a lot of memory is needed and these applications are pretty undemanding.  Our "helpful" IT department installed 64-bit on the work laptop without bothering to ask anyone what was wanted. They've been a royal pain to deal with all along, especially with the pandemic as they work from home now. 

Are there any tricks to replacing 32-bit LV on my home system with 64-bit LV?  Any chance of losing some key feature in the swap?.

Oh, you're not in control of your dev environment?  I hate that.  the reason why I suggested installing LV 64-bit at home is so that you can duplicate as closely as possible the work environment.

Otherwise you are correct about recommending LV 32-bit over 64-bit in most cases.  This is because LV 64-bit toolkit support isn't as complete as LV 32-bit (although it's getting better), and I think I heard that LV 64-bit has a few strange bugs that I've never encountered.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(434 Views)

@billko wrote:

Oh, you're not in control of your dev environment?  I hate that.  the reason why I suggested installing LV 64-bit at home is so that you can duplicate as closely as possible the work environment.

Otherwise you are correct about recommending LV 32-bit over 64-bit in most cases.  This is because LV 64-bit toolkit support isn't as complete as LV 32-bit (although it's getting better), and I think I heard that LV 64-bit has a few strange bugs that I've never encountered.

I'm not fond of the IT situation either, but nothing I can do about it.

I'm inclined to uninstall LV 32-bit and install LV 64-bit from a fresh download and am assuming that my VIs won't be touched, though I do have backups on a thumb drive.  Do you see any problem with that approach?

Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(424 Views)

Not at all.  But you don't have to uninstall LV 32-bit.  They can live happily side by side.  You just need to be careful to explicitly open the correct version of LV before opening your project.  (This is more important if you have different versions - e.g., LV 2019 and LV 2020.  Opening it with a different bitness than you meant to will make it recompile (and then complain about any incorrect dll references) and then you just need to open it up in the correct bitness. to "fix" it.)

Oh, and just make sure to install any drivers again so they can become "64-bit aware".

Does that make sense?  It was a bit complicated to explain and I wanted to make sure I explained myself clearly.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(420 Views)

@billko wrote:

Not at all.  But you don't have to uninstall LV 32-bit.  They can live happily side by side.  You just need to be careful to explicitly open the correct version of LV before opening your project.  (This is more important if you have different versions - e.g., LV 2019 and LV 2020.  Opening it with a different bitness than you meant to will make it recompile (and then complain about any incorrect dll references) and then you just need to open it up in the correct bitness. to "fix" it.)

Oh, and just make sure to install any drivers again so they can become "64-bit aware".

Does that make sense?  It was a bit complicated to explain and I wanted to make sure I explained myself clearly.

Yes, that makes sense, but I only need LV for this one project so am inclined to just switch over completely to LV 64-bit, just to avoid any possibility of me screwing up which one I load.  IT is likely to be difficult about switching over the work laptop to 32-bit or even adding it to the laptop.

Seems like I'll have no problem doing that so far as existing data goes.

Mike

Message 14 of 17
(415 Views)

@Mike-ANL wrote:

@billko wrote:

Yes, that makes sense, but I only need LV for this one project so am inclined to just switch over completely to LV 64-bit, just to avoid any possibility of me screwing up which one I load.  IT is likely to be difficult about switching over the work laptop to 32-bit or even adding it to the laptop.

Seems like I'll have no problem doing that so far as existing data goes.

Mike

Sounds like a plan, then!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(412 Views)

@billko wrote:

Sounds like a plan, then!  🙂

And an immediate stumbling block - I need to install LV 2019 SP1 64-bit but NI's web site won't me do it as I don't have an active SSP (standard service membership).  Hopefully the LV rep I dealt with early on can help with that - I dread dealing with IT again.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(395 Views)

I forgot about that stupidity.  So you have access to all versions from before... except you don't.  At least not unless you try really hard.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(389 Views)