Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving text from Xnodes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Background

Using Labview 2010, but willing to switch to 2011 if that has the solution.

I am currently working on a code to go through a VI and check all text present for certain key words. However I can not grab any text from Xnodes. It is my understanding that Xnodes are not fully supported by NI yet, however there is editable text in them, and I do need to check it.

Examples

I can not get the text from the "open data storage" file location, or the "Configure group digital signals" plot legend.

Past Attempts

I have tried using the too more class specific function, but Xnodes is not an option. I have also tried accessing all other sorts of GObjects via the traverse for GObjects function, but none of them were able to retrieve this text.

Question Is there a way to retrieve pieces of text like this pragmatically or must it be done by hand?

Thanks for any help in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,789 Views)

Could you explain why and how you're trying to use Xnodes? 

The LabVIEW help about Xnodes states: "You cannot modify .xnode files, so .xnode files are locked in the Project Explorer window."

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,754 Views)

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy.

I myself am not trying to use Xnodes.  The purpose of the code is to scan other labview VI's for specific words and notify the user if it finds one.  I have managed to achieve this for everything except Xnodes.  What i used previously was the property node, however the property node does not support Xnodes.

I know that i am still missing text because as I mentioned earlier my current two test case's, "open data storage" and "Configure group digital signals" each have a text field that I can access and edit by double clicking.  I am not editing the xnode, but mearly using part of its functionality and given that I have found no other class that lets me access the text I insert there I can only surmise that the data is stored somewhere in the Xnode.

I previosly had a similar issue with subvis, and the solution was to step through the other vi, however as you mentioned this can not be done with Xnodes.  Thus I am at my current impass.

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,722 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ConfusedAndLost

I'm pretty sure you can't do what you want (assuming I actually understood what you want). The whole point of an XNode is that it can have a custom look and behavior. This means that there's no standard way of accessing things like this, since they would be in different places for different XNodes (or not at all).

(2,713 Views)

Thats the same conclusion I had come to, but I thought I would post here, incase someone had found a backdoor way to do it or something.

Thanks for your time and help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,702 Views)

What about parsing the XML in the .xnode file for *.vi and *.ctl file names?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,668 Views)