From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize Conrtols In RealTime Without Jitter

For the sake of argument I am trying to recreate a notepad application in LabVIEW. I have a String control that I resize with the pane as it is resized by the user. I am trying to resize it in real time as the user drags, just like the real notepad.

"The Scale Object with Pane" control property and the "Scale all objects on front panel as the window resizes" VI property only apply once you have finished dragging to resize, so that won’t work.

My closest working implementation uses an Event Structure to adjust the String Control.

NotePad.PNG

This event is set to "Limit maximum instances of this event in event queue" to 1 Instance. But an instance can take up to 300 ms and is jittery.

Is there any way around this limitation? I don't need it to be perfect, even as you resize the real Notepad window you can see some jitter but I cannot even get close to the same performance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,504 Views)

What PC do you use? I have machine with Intel Core i3 (2x 2.3 GHz), 4 Gb RAM, and update of the string size works like a charm; I don't see any significant jitters. Try to disable that option (limitation of events in the queue, maybe it causes jitters, b/c of "lost" events in the queue, and thus jittery displaying of string size update).

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,457 Views)

I have a Z800, with a Intel(R) Xeon(R) (6x2.8GHz) and 18GB of ram.

What Version on LabVIEW are you running? I'm using 2014.

I have narrowed it down the the resize property with a large control. I replicated my example with a .net textbox and have not seen the same ~half second jitter as you drag to adjust the panel.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,452 Views)