LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report generation toolkit not working with LV runtime engine after upgrading to MS Office 2016

Hello all,

I have a project inside which some functions of report generation toolkit are called to access EXCEL spreahsheet. For it to run on a target computer I build an exe with application builder and have LV runtime engine installed on the target computer. On the development computer there is LV 2015 installed. On the target computer there is LV runtime engine 2015 installed. Everything was OK even after we upgraded MS Office from version 2013 to 2016 on the target computer.

But that is the end of the good story.

In order to add new features to the project I have to recompile it and build the exe again. The new exe after that does not work on the target computer anymore. Running a remote debugging helps me to narrow down the error to the following subVI of report generation toolkit,

New report.vi

The same exe works well on the development computer though.

Both computers run on MS Windows 7 64 bit but the LV development is with 32 bit version.

I tried the Registration table trick that on mentioned on this link

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-2014-report-generation-toolkit-excel-2016-and-office-365/m-...

But that does not help after I deleted the whole folder of "19.0" that corresponds to the installation of EXCEL 2016.

I hope someone in this forum could help me to figure out the root cause of this and find the solution.

Thanks,

Tao

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,235 Views)

There have been a number of reports (with solutions!) on these Forums recently about changes in Microsoft Excel that makes it slightly incompatible with the Report Generation Toolkit's Excel routines.  I must confess that I've been sticking with Office 2013, so this "fast move" by Microsoft hasn't affect me (and thus I can't directly point you to the Solution, but you should be able to find it here in the last week or three).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,221 Views)

Can you post the specific error code that occurs? That should help narrow down the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,142 Views)

Is your Excel 64-bit or 32-bit? In my experience Excel 2016 64-bit does not work.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,135 Views)

I have 32bit MS EXCEL 2016 installed on both the development computer and the target computer. The revision number of EXCEL on the development computer is 1608 while that on the target computer is 1604. I just found out a workaround if I upgrade EXCEL 2016 on the target computer also to revision 1608. But I still would like to see if there is a more comprehensive solution.

@JensG69 wrote:

Is your Excel 64-bit or 32-bit? In my experience Excel 2016 64-bit does not work.

Regards, Jens

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,128 Views)

The error code is actually very generic. Once the exe crashes on the target computer, there is a pop up window. On that window I see the following exception is reported,

Exception: Access violation (0xC0000005) at EIP=0x00000000

Version: 1.0.0.6

@sirwin wrote:

Can you post the specific error code that occurs? That should help narrow down the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,127 Views)