Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report generation on Linux

Solved!
Go to solution

Platform:

LabVIEW 8.6 on Fedora 10.

Would I be correct in assuming that .doc and .xls format reports cannot be generated on Linux (I can't find anything in the few documents I have read, but it would be common sense to assume that) ?

Does LabVIEW support .odt and .ods formats for report generation (openoffice) ?

Openoffice can read and write (imperfectly) most .doc and .xls files though. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,397 Views)
Do a search of the LAVA forums. Someone posted some code there which integrates the RGT API with OO, although it might use ActiveX, so if it does, it will not work in Linux.

(3,375 Views)

Thanks for the hint.

Interestingly, the manual for the report generation toolkit also permits generation of html reports.

I looked at LAVA forums. The toolkit at:

http://lavag.org/topic/11434-open-office-toolkit/

needs a .NET library.

This addon is thus of interest only to Windows users who for some reason cannot use Microsoft Office. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,368 Views)
Solution
Accepted by m-s

Just to clarify, the RGT uses the Office ActiveX API to build the report, so it will not work on Linux in any case (unless something like Mono can allow that sort of thing, but I assume it doesn't).

I have a vague recollection that the HTML VIs don't actually exist (i.e. HTML appears in the list of options, but there are no VIs to actually generate the HTML pages). That said, I may be remembering incorrectly. The code is open source, so it should be easy enough to look inside it and see. If the HTML VIs have code and are only ASCII, then presumably you can copy the VIs over to the Linux machine and use them, although I'm not sure if that's allowed in the license.

If your needs are minimal and you know HTML, you can probably write the code yourself, although it will likely require some work.

(3,362 Views)
I checked and now I can fix my vague recollection - the HTML VIs do exist (which makes sense) but certain options the RGT provides are not implemented in the HTML reports.

(3,332 Views)