From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation - Word Template

Hi,

I am trying to write a program that captures up to 873 different scope shots.

At the end, the program will generate a Word Report with all scope shots and measured parameters.

I have used the Word Template in the past and created field for each parameters.  However, this approach will not be efficient with this complex test.  The report format of each test is shown below with the read box indicating the field where data will be plugged in by LabVIEW.

To create the word template for entire tests can create unnecessary post processing to delete the part of the test that user didn't run.  If user ran only 3 tests then he would have to delete other 870 templates which will not be cost efficient.  Also, this could create unnecessary programming mess that is not very flexible.

My questions -- is there any way I can copy this template below as I run the test?  Rather than creating a word template for 873 different test for which I may only run part of it, can I copy the template based on number of test that user would like to run?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chetna

Intersil Inc.

919-405-3696

Example of the scope data figure:

Figure Error! No text of specified style in document.1.

Test Conditions:Vin=V,  Vout=V: A Temp=C Mode=Fs=Serial #= 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,533 Views)
I read your post numerous times, and it was still no more clear the fifth time around, so we're going to need to clarify some things here. You showed what appears to be a figure. Is this figure in your Word template? What are the numbers on the side? What do you mean by "read box"?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,510 Views)
I believe that's a typo and should be 'RED box'.  I.E. The little red boxes are where the data should go.  Is that right?
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,506 Views)

Hello Chetna,

Please post some more information on what you are trying to do. Do you currently have the Report Generation Toolkit? Do you already have a VI that uses a word template to fill the data in? What are you trying to make more efficient exactly?

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,493 Views)

Hi Vivek,

I have LabVIEW 8.5 Development version and the report generation tool kit.  I will be writing VI to fill the data in and generate a word report with Up to 873 different tests.  The template that I attached is the sample template for only one test, I will be doing 873 tests.  The sample test template consists of scope shot and some measured parameters.

My situation - the VI that I will be writing will fill in the sample template that I attached for 873 times.  For me to generate a word report for all tests, I would have to create a report template with 873 sample templates.  Where there is a red box, I would have to create a field for each box so the LabVIEW will know where to put the data in. 

Well, that is lot of work in the first place.  Secondly, to keep up with 873 different permuation fields can create lot of unnecessary programming mess.  Lastly, if the user decide to run only part of the test, then there would be lot of empty test templates.  If user decide to run only 10 tests the final report will have 860 empty boxes.  That is not efficient.

My goal is to create the word report using just one sample template rather than 873.  I would like to copy the sample template based on number of tests user defines. 

My question is-  Is there any way to copy the sample test template that I attached using the report generation toolkit?

Regards,

Chetna Tailor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,481 Views)

Hi Chetna,

I think I understand what you are trying to do now. I will have to see if I can find a way to copying the template a specified number of times to include in a word report. 

This section of the LabVIEW help describes how to create reports from templates, in case you have not seen it yet: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372120A-01/lvrgthelp/using_report_expvis/

I will let you know if I find out any way of doing what you want. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,469 Views)

Hi Chetna,

Have you looked at using ActiveX functions as an option? The best way I can see right now is to merge word files together in order to have multiple copies of a template in one word report. I am not sure if this is possible yet, so I will let you know if I find any information on this. Apart from that, there does not seem to be a straightforward way of doing this with the Report Generation Toolkit. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,441 Views)