cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation Toolkit V9.0.0 : Print Report.vi doesnt print

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

i have migrated my Labview 8.5 Project with Report Generation Toolkit V1.1.2 to a Labview 2009 System with Report Generation Toolkit V9.0.0.

In this Project I use the Report Generation Toolkit for printing out a Standard Report with e few Tables and Graphs.

Now the VI Print Report.vi delivers the Error -41002 with the Text "Invalide Printer Name". I have, of course installed the propper Printer on the machine.

I don´t connect a string to the "Printer name" input of the VI, because i want to use the default printer.

In my oppinion, there´s  a bug in the Print Report.vi: if you don´t wire the "Printer name" input, the vi should use the default printer, but in this case the vi connects the empty input string to the input of the method node it calls.

I fixed this bug, but the method node still returns the same error.

any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,246 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wolfman

Thank you for the link!

For some reasons i can´t find this specific article in the knowledge base (my browser is always rerouted to the german version of ni.com, because i am in Austria). I tried to search with the exact title of this article, and the error message string, but no results...

I have also installed Labview 8.5 and the "old" Toolkits on my new computer in addition to Labview 2009 and the "new" Toolkits and tested my program in 8.5. Here i got an error mentioning the margins and i had to change the margin settings for printing out, then in worked.

After reading the article, i have applied the same changes for the margins in the 2009-version of my program and it works too!

Problem solved!

Thank you very much!

PS:

I first wrote, that there´s maybe a bug in the new version of the Print Report.vi, but i´ve compared it with the old version and it seems to be no bug, sorry!

After all I decided to stay with Labview 8.5 for now, because of another problem:

it´s not possible to "save for previous version" from LV2009 to LV8.5 directly.

Laview crashes, when a VI contains an event structure as i found out by searching through the "known issues", and i have a lot of VIs with event structures!

I have to have the possibility to save my Labview projects for 8.0 and 8.5. The only way is to save for 8.6 and then save from 8.6 to 8.5.

That´s nasty and time-consuming!

Maybe a future update will solve this problem (without producing new ones)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,212 Views)

SO were you able to read the article?

Else here it is

If you are trying to save the report, you must select Word or Excel as the input to report type.  If the report type terminal is not wired, the print or save input is ignored.  In that case you may get this error, as the VI is trying to print to the printer name or file path input rather than saving there.

If you want to use the Print Report VI with a network printer and Windows NT, then you must use the full printer path name and not the alias given in the printers folder. The full printer path name should be listed in your printer's Properties. An easy way to obtain the full printer path is from Query Available Printers VI. 

If you still experience error -41002, it could be an issue regarding the print margins.  If there is a margin issue, some printers will report errors that in turn cause error -41002 in LabVIEW.  There are two major causes:
  • If your printer has a minimum value that it can print and you have set the margins smaller than this value.
  • If your printer is set to metric units and LabVIEW is set to English units this may cause an issue. For instance, LabVIEW defaults to 1 inch margins settings and many printers default to metric units.  In this case, the 1 in margins LabVIEW sends to the printer may be interpreted by the printer as 1 cm, which is likely below the minimum margins for the printer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,206 Views)

Hi,

i can open the article by clicking your link, but i wondered why i didn´t find it on my own.

So i searched for "error -41002" and "error -41002 invalid printer name" and "error -41002 when printing an report in labview" and so on in support/knowledge base, but i wasn´t able to find this article.

I have sometimes difficulties to find the right information for my problems...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,190 Views)