LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove old computer from labview license

Hi Guys,

from what I know, for each labview license I can install the sw in 3 different computer.

Now I have change 2 old computers and I will activate the 2 new computer with the same license. How can I remove the license from the two old computer if they are burned?

Thank you.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,874 Views)

Hi Guys,

I've a simple question. How can I move a labview license from an old pc to a new one. The old computer doens't turn on. (Burned).

Thank you very much.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,880 Views)

Hi Guys,

from what I know, for each labview license I can install the sw in 3 different computer.

Now I have change 2 old computers and I will activate the 2 new computer with the same license. How can I remove the license from the two old computer if they are burned?

Thank you.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,876 Views)

First, you do not need to ask the same question three times.

Second, I haven't read the License Agreement you are using (and have never heard the "three-machine" rule, but that doesn't mean it's not there!).  If you are in doubt, I would call NI and ask them directly.  However, if you uninstall LabVIEW from Machine A (or if Machine A has completely died and can not run any software), you might well be allowed to install it on a different machine.  Licenses are generally "by count", not "by machine" -- before you install it (once), it doesn't matter on which machine it lives, but once it's been installed on a machine and activated, it should remain on that machine (until it is removed or the machine "passes on").  But Check with NI!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,836 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Second, I haven't read the License Agreement you are using (and have never heard the "three-machine" rule, but that doesn't mean it's not there!).

The three computer rule applies to the ""named user license" and the "student edition license". (details).

Message 5 of 13
(4,829 Views)

Thanks, Altenbach.  Those terms are very clear.  A Named-User license may be used by only the Named User, who can install it on (up to) three machines + a home machine used to do "work at home" (i.e. not for a "side business").  It seems reasonable, though it is not explicitly stated, that as long as the number of machines on which the Software is currently installed is three or less, and the Named User is the only user, the Spirit (and, perhaps, even the Letter) of the License is obeyed.  So uninstalling from Machine A and installing on Machine B seems OK, as does "retiring" (and, presumably, wiping the disks) of Machine A and replacing it with Machine B.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,811 Views)

As always I do not presume to offer legal advice

Your agreements with NI may differ from mine and my experiences.

With those disclaimers: Think about the
NI License Manager.  This is what you use to activate/register the product.

If you do that on a whole bunch of machines NI is going to ask you why.  If someone else does that on a whole bunch of machines with your license NI is going to ask you why.

If your PC Dies and you cannot uninstall your product before you install it on 1 replacement machine- NI will never care

If you install copies 2 and 3 for "Evaluation".   You should have requested that the client provides a clear license.  If you need to drop your key on a client's machine temporarily to support that client Talk to your NI Rep you are probably fine if your SSP is up-to-date.

Basically NI is fine with you supporting client's but not developing code for resale without paying for a development license.  Reasonable.

I've even had a license key "For Forum Support Only!" on a temporary basis.  The conditions were unusual and will not likely be repeated by anyone at anytime.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,799 Views)

First, my questions are different.

Second, read better the License Agreement.

Third, your answer is useless.

Fourth, I already call NI and they address me on this forum. (against my will).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,776 Views)

I 've already call NI asking to remove all my old computers associated to my license but they can't... very strange. It's also not possible to manage my computer in the website... (like you do with itunes for Iphone).

What I'm looking for is: Remove all my old not working computers and use my license with my new computer. Should be easy.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,774 Views)

Hi Daniele,

Remove all my old not working computers and use my license with my new computer. Should be easy.

Deinstall NI software on the old computer. Install on the new computer. Should be easy!

(When NI support directs you to the forum to discuss license issues then there is something wrong with NI supprt…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,769 Views)