From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove (no callers) dependency from Project

Solved!
Go to solution
The Labview Project is not allowing me to remove a dependency file (instrument driver) that has no callers although I've relinked all my Project files to the instr.lib folder. I have a dependency file something like "Agilent MXA Series..." which is on the C:\somefolder that still persist in the Project files. This driver file has no callers, I've relinked all project files to the LV2015\instr.lib folder instead. I'm taking over prior work, so I create a Project making a copy from existing VI files from a C:\somefolder\driver-folder. Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,893 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author richjoh
That is not going to be the only incorrect dependency. It is part of a project that is getting loaded into the current project as a dependency.

Drivers should never be included in a project. They should always be a dependency.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 6
(5,887 Views)
Correct, so I should see a caller(s) if I right click on dependency driver file and select "show caller" instead I get "no callers" pop up box. This features is done through the Project hierarchy. Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,873 Views)
OK, fix it by right clicking dependency and selecting "Why is this a dependency" and it pointed me to the file that has linkage to the old driver file path. I opened the file and relink the file to the new path driver path (instr.lib) and the dependency went away. So if show callers doesn't work (usually if the file is not called but in your Project) then use "Why is this a dependency", open and relink the subVIs. Rich J
Message 4 of 6
(5,866 Views)
Ah, yes, well... Sometimes the concept of "caller" can get fuzzy, consider just one possible scenario.

You can have a VI that isn't used but is in a library that IS being used so the whole library gets loaded into memory. Now let's say that unused VI contains a link to another VI in another library. Because some part of the first library is dependent something in the second library it will also appear is dependencies. However, if you look for callers of the second library it will say none because in the context of this project it isn't really being called at all.

A similar situation can arise when linking to something that is included in another project. In that case the entire other project will appear in dependencies. This is the case where typically I trip over the problem -- also note it's a problem I created.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,830 Views)

Mike, totally agree and that was my case a project inside of a project with dependencies. I took over someone work that was never in a project and had linkages in the instr.lib folder and locally copied instri.lib libraries files.

Anyhow I was able to clean up the linkage and came across the following issue. I kept getting, pop up message "corrupt lvlib cannot open" after I fixed my linkage to the Agilent MXA series library driver files and saved my project. The library was 2014 lvlib file but I never opened the library Project file, thinking the save using LV2015 will fix the issue. Once I toggle Labview 2015 and tried the open my project the corrupt file message persisted. So I fixed this by creating a new lvlib file replacing the old file using LV2015, not LV2014, then save my Project and all linkage and files compiles after restarting LV2015.

So be prepared to replace your lvlib files should corrupt file pop up message occurs.

Rich J

Message 6 of 6
(5,779 Views)