LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote panels problem on RT with LabVIEW 2009 SP1

Hi all,

I'm having an issue connecting to remote panels on a real-time device (tried both cFP-2220 and cRIO-9024). Whenever I try to access the remote panel I always get the message "Remote panel connection exceeds maximum number of licenses". This problem only seems to happen with LabVIEW 2009 SP1. There is no problem connecting to the remote panel if LabVIEW 2009 or LabVIEW 8.6.1 is used. Here are the steps I've been using to reproduce the issue:

1. Format the RT device and do a complete software re-installation.

2. Create a project and add the RT device as a target, enabling the web server under its properties.

3. Create a basic VI with a blinking boolean indicator on the RT target.

4. Use the Web Publishing Tool to generate the html for the VI, then copy it to the c:\ni-rt\system\www folder on the RT device.

5. Create and deploy a build for the basic VI.

6. Reboot the RT device and access the html page via IE8.

In all cases the LabVIEW Professional Development environment was used, so remote panel licensing shouldn't be an issue. As I say, this problem only seems to happen under LabVIEW 2009 SP1. Has anyone else encountered this issue, or has a solution?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,860 Views)

Hi MichaelBalzer,

A couple things to check:

1.) Make sure that you are deploying the settings after you enable the Web Server.

2.) Are you following the instructions in this KB.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you seeing this same behavior in other web browsers?

Aaron P

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,797 Views)

Hi Aaron, apologies for the delayed reply.

The settings are definitely being deployed after Web Server has been enabled. I have followed all of the steps in the linked KB article too, but the problem still persists.

Looking at the KB article, a licence file for at least one user should be put on the RT target when the RT module is installed on it. Perhaps this isn't happening when installing the RT module included with LV2009 SP1?  I have been able to reproduce the problem on two different installations of LV2009 SP1.

I tried accessing the RT target from both IE8 and Firefox, and the problem happens with both.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,694 Views)

Hi MichaelBalzer,

By chance, do you happen to have any other RT targets, preferably one that runs Pharlap (both the cFP-2220 and the cRIO-9024 run VxWorks)? I ask this because some customer have been running into issues with Remote Front Panels on VxWorks targets. If you do, please try this on that target.

As far as licenses are concerned, that should have been included when you installed LabVIEW RT on the target. If you have all of the software installed on the computer you are using to communicate with the targets, you can also try formatting the target and reinstalling the software on it from MAX. Be careful, because formatting will erase everything on the controller, so if you have any important files (such as data log files or something like that), please FTP them to your host machine before formatting.

Aaron P

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,655 Views)

The only other RT targets that we have that support Pharlap are cFP-2000s, but they aren't supported by LV2009, so unfortunately I can't test that out.

I've tried formatting both RT targets and reinstalling the RT software using LV2009 SP1 a number of times without success.

At the moment I've installed the RT software (FieldPoint 6.0.5) on the cFP-2220 from a LV2009 installation, but am building and deploying the RT app using a LV2009 SP1 installation and it seems to be working.

When I find some spare time I'll try a basic install of LV2009 SP1 (+ RT module) in a VM just to rule out the possibility that my SP1 installation isn't dodgy.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,644 Views)

Hi MichaelBalzer,

I am glad that you have found a workaround for the time being. Please update this forum if you find the time to try the VM conditions. I will also try to reproduce this here on my end. Thanks.

Aaron P

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,606 Views)

I am having the same problem on a LabVIEW 2009 SP1 installation. Has there been any resolution?

Thanks,

David

David C
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,369 Views)

Hello,

I had the same problem at the begininng of the year and NI solved it for me.  They had to send me a new license file and I need to create a directory on my RT-PXI where the file should be copied after.

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,255 Views)

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for responding. What is the location of the directory where the license resides? A good starting point will be to se if it exsists.

David.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,237 Views)

David,

Here an excerpt for NI answer:

"

Directions for LabVIEW Real-Time users:

1. Rename the attached file to LV_RPC.LIC 2. FTP the file to the RT system in the directory C:\ni-rt\system\shared \licenses\ 3. Be sure to use BINARY mode with the FTP client for this transfer.

"

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,229 Views)