From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote control of application is causing slowdown

We have a medium sized application running on our target hardware.  We have enabled the VI Server so we can control the software from a remote computer running our testing software.  Our application is made up of many different menus and we make use of subpanels as we navigate through our menu system.

When we connect the two machine together via an ethernet cable and establish a VI server connection, we are experiencing some significant slowdown and in some cases it lockes up alltogether.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,302 Views)

monitor the erro code returned by the VI Server calls.

You can also bump down the time out seetings if it is locking up.

A gready loop on the target will also inhibit the performance.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,300 Views)

I inherited this code so forgive me.

No errors being seen from VI Server Nodes (Open Application Reference and Open VI Reference).

The remote app basically reads and writes data to the target applications sub-panels.

We are not using a web server and I do not see any timeout settings on the VI Server options menu.

I am looking into greedy loops on the target.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,286 Views)

@ottomatic wrote:

I inherited this code so forgive me.

No errors being seen from VI Server Nodes (Open Application Reference and Open VI Reference).

The remote app basically reads and writes data to the target applications sub-panels.

We are not using a web server and I do not see any timeout settings on the VI Server options menu.

I am looking into greedy loops on the target.

"There's the rub" (Hamlet, I don't remeber which scene).

I don't know the exact method you are using to get at the sub-panel but that may be the bottle-neck if you are using property nodes and the like.

Virually all of my RT apps serve an Action Engine designed specificaly for the app. They rival queues for speed, can be set as "sub-routine" to pick-up a "skip if busy" option on the diagram.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,281 Views)

It appears that when my client app encounters a wait (or even an event structure waiting for user input), it bogs down the target app (vi server).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,272 Views)

If the CPU is up it could just be crunching.

If CPU is not up check if you have events set as "Lock FP ..."

If the GUI is using a lot property nodes you may be fighting over the UI thread (see the first post in this thread. Warning Dut tape required. Forget the rest in that thread. It seems people did follow instruction about the duct tape so the thread broke down into forum madness.)

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,262 Views)