LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote application

Hello guys,

I am working on a project where I have two stations, one is placed in a place where only has electricity and telephony services and in this station acquires temperature and pressure signals. The signal measurements must be saved in the second station each time and in real time.

The second station is placed so far of the first station and it must send control signal to the first station to active some actuators.

I would like to know one technical to development the system, I think one option could be telephony service like GSM but if anybody has experience on this topic I appreciate you can help me for the idea.

Thanks, have a good day.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,310 Views)

@CarlosLuevano wrote:

Hello guys,

I am working on a project where I have two stations, one is placed in a place where only has electricity and telephony services and in this station acquires temperature and pressure signals. The signal measurements must be saved in the second station each time and in real time.

The second station is placed so far of the first station and it must send control signal to the first station to active some actuators.

I would like to know one technical to development the system, I think one option could be telephony service like GSM but if anybody has experience on this topic I appreciate you can help me for the idea.

Thanks, have a good day.

Could you give more details? What are these "stations"? What kind of hardware you want to use? PC with Windows? What kind of DAQ hardware? cDAQ (USB or Ethernet?), cRIO, PXI ,etc...?

Second, you need to check the mobile coverage type of the remote location (I guess the second station has proper internet access). What is available there? EDGE? 3G? 4G? Is there any mobile provider in that area who sells mobile internet subscription? If you are lucky, you can get a mobile net service for an affordable price, using a wireless dongle ("USB stick with a SIM card inside") connected to your remote PC.

edit: other possible option a satellite access, but I imagine it is crazy expensive... Or, how far is this "first station" from a location where you can have internet access? If it is in a range of max ~20-30 km, you could set up two microwave antennas (some companies sell such kits) to get a link between the two locations. But the two antennas need to "see each other", if you have obstacles/hills in the way, this will not work...

edit2: "where only has electricity and telephony services" Check if there is land-line telephone option at that remote location? Maybe you can get DSL access via land-line?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,282 Views)

Hi Blokk

The stations are PCs Windows running LabVIEW applications and correctly, the first one only has access to Edge and 3G service and the second one has the proper access internet.

I am going to read more about a wireless dongle ("USB stick with a SIM card inside") and maybe I can get solution for my problems. If you have information I appreciate you can share it.

I do not if there is a land-line but I am going to investigate about that. So I guess Edge or 3G service could be a good idea to start developing my exchange information between my two stations.

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,268 Views)

@CarlosLuevano wrote:

Hi Blokk

The stations are PCs Windows running LabVIEW applications and correctly, the first one only has access to Edge and 3G service and the second one has the proper access internet.

I am going to read more about a wireless dongle ("USB stick with a SIM card inside") and maybe I can get solution for my problems. If you have information I appreciate you can share it.

I do not if there is a land-line but I am going to investigate about that. So I guess Edge or 3G service could be a good idea to start developing my exchange information between my two stations.

I appreciate your help.

Regarding to your question about mobile internet access, It is something you can check on the internet. I have no idea about the geographical location of this remote area.

Another thing you should consider is the platform to be used at the remote location. Will you have frequent human access to this Windows PC there? If not, it would be safer to use something else, maybe a PXI or other high reliability hardware with real time OS. If you want to stick to Windows PC for any reason, you might need a hardware watchdog witch can restart crashed/unavailable PC...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,255 Views)